Dragonless (Prologue)

*Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

Sanageyama is tapping on his leg. He, his three companions Ira Gamagoori, Houka Inumuta, Nonon Jakuzure and Mistress Satsuki Kiryuin sat outside a surgery room inside a big ship. The tapping is rhythmic, as if he would tap according to a heartbeat.

*Tap* *Tap*-*Tap* *Tap*-*Tap* *Tap* -*Tap* *Tap*

A good friend of all of them is now in critical condition. They found him half-dead defending a zone from the COVERS. The rags he was wearing barely resembled the original uniform, now was all nasty with dirt, sweat and bloodstains, some of his bloodstains were completely dry.

*Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap*

They all noticed Sanageyama lowering the pace.

Gamagoori stood still.

Nonon bit her nails.

Inumuta was typing slowly on his computer like trying to match the taping.

Sanageyama was so focused on the beat that he did not notice that his own foot was also following it.

And Satsuki, even though she looked the most relaxed, she was the most worried of them all. Her second in command almost died once to save her life, now he put his life on the line again so they got a fighting chance against the COVERS, and she also knows really damn well His feelings for her, which only made her worry even more.

*Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap* - *Tap*

"No, no, no NO NO NO NO! DON'T DO THIS TO ME, MAN!" The man inside the surgery room yelled soon between the ever slowing tapping.

The clattering of machines deafened the heartbeats of the ones waiting outside.

A single minute passed. And yet, every second, a part of their own soul left their body.

*Tap* --- *Tap* --- *Tap* --- *Tap*

*Tap* --------------------

Sanageyama stopped tapping his leg, clenched his fist with that hand and he could be seen frustrated, like looking for something.

Gamagoori from his position let his arm fall to the ground and his knees almost, Almost touched the ground.

Nonon was completely paralyzed with blank eyes.

Inumuta tried to hide his tears behind his glasses.

Satsuki closed her eyes the moment Sanageyama stopped taping and, unconsciously, brought her hand to her chest and whether it was the sorrow or the pain, she could not feel her own heartbeat.

"Kai..." She said, and a single tear fell down her face.