Chapter 3

The leaves rustled in the slight breeze and trees swayed to the rhythm of the wind. Humans bustled around being noisy; shopping for necessities and doing their business. The pathway was littered with objects that people couldn't be bothered to bin. Cars zoomed past everyone, some slower than others. Grey clouds rolled over in the sky, too lazy to let the sun in.

"Is that Ant?" It was a whisper from a lady in the corner of the road. Her dark hair had caught onto the breeze and was covering her face. 

"No Maria, that's Dec."

"He looks awful."

Even though they were 'whispering', Dec heard what they said. He turned around and smiled widely at the two girls, startling them, and then continued his journey down a random street in London.

People where everywhere, he just wanted to be alone for a bit and think. After walking ahead, his feet dragged him to a bench that he gladly sat down on. 

Declan Donnelly didn't leave Anthony McPartlin in the house because he wanted to think about a solo career.

Did Ant really think he would abandon him that easily? The thought had crossed his mind for a second, but looking at his best friend's face had easily pushed the thought away.

Dec wanted to continue working with Ant, but what if it wouldn't work?

What had happened was drastic. It would change everything.

So would they be able to survive the hate that would be thrown on them? The looks that everyone would give them? The people that would judge them? 

For a solid 3 minutes, Dec remained in his position on the bench, focusing on the 3 questions. But he got distracted by a little boy right at the end of the park.

The boy looked...sad. Not obviously sad, discreetly. His blue eyes had a dull edge to them and his shoulders were sunk. His brown hair looked stiff and uncomfortable.  He was walking but he didn't have a bounce in his step. His feet seemed to be dragging him, just like how Dec's were 5 minutes ago. 

Maybe he should talk to the kid? But he could make it worse, considering what's just happened. 

Out of nowhere, another boy came. He looked different from the other one. He had a smile on his face which created dimples and his chocolate eyes seemed to be shining with mirth. He was leading his feet somewhere, controlling them. He looked happy.

The happy boy but an arm around the sad kid.

And suddenly, he brightened up.

It wasn't just the little boy who brightened up, it was the atmosphere around them.

The two boys looked at each other with joy and continued their walk down the path. They had their arms around each other and they were connected by something, but Dec just couldn't tell what.

The happier kid whispered something in the ear of the other boy, and he laughed. A happy, fun-filled laugh that reached his eyes.

They were connected by love.

Dec's heart lifted a little bit, and a true smile reached his face. They reminded him of him and Ant as 14-year-olds. He didn't have that many friends until Byker Grove, but with Ant, it was a different. He made him laugh more; he trusted someone; he had a proper best friend.

Something glinted in the corner of Dec's eyes. It only glinted for a second, but it was enough to grab his attention. Looking closer, he saw 2 letters that had roughly been carved onto the wood. They looked deep and ancient, as if they had been there for years and years.