Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Yes," I confirmed. "I saw her pain in my mind. She was being harmed, and I ran up to help her."

Ambrosius looked to Duccio with disbelief. The alpha kept his eyes on me.

"What did you see from the corridor when you arrived on the third floor?" Duccio asked gently.

"I saw what she saw," I answered. "I saw her husband lying dead on the floor beside the bed. I heard the murderer grunting in her ear; I felt the blade at her throat; I felt her agony as he violated her; I smelled his feted breath."

I shuddered at the memory, closing my eyes to hold back the tears and anger.

"And then it happened?" Duccio asked.

I nodded.

"Did you choose for it to happen?"

I shook my head limply but stopped when I considered his question.

"I started without my thinking about it," I answered. "But when I felt the power, I..."

"You surrendered to it? You invited it?"

Again, I shook my head, uncertain of the most accurate response to Duccio's question.

"I made it happen. I forced the transformation and relished in it. The power was intoxicating, and I drew it to me, knowing fully well that I meant to use it to destroy the man."

I could not have been more honest. Ambrosius looked positively incredulous, though I could tell he held back his words. Duccio only stared in quiet appraisal.

A knock came from the door behind me, and it immediately opened.

Come, Father, Duccio called with his mind.

Sempronio's entered and stood beside my chair.

"Forgive the hour," Duccio offered.

"Indeed," Sempronio answered curtly.

"Something has happened, and I expect you will wish to address it."

"Oh?" the old man asked.

"Gabriella has disobeyed our orders. In plain sight of witnesses, she transformed, destroyed private property, and killed a man. Considering the circumstances, I would welcome your counsel."

"Indeed?" said the man. "She is your pack member, your omega, is she not?"

"She is," Duccio answered. "But she is also your pupil, and the circumstances are far more complicated than simple insubordination."

"Indeed," Sempronio said, and he turned to leave the room without another word.

I could not help but be amused by the master's grumpy departure, and I watched him go. When I turned back to find Duccio's eyes on me again, he cocked his head at my inaction.

"Go," he said with impatient eyes.

When I finally understood his meaning, I rose quickly to depart the room to follow Sempronio, closing the door behind me.

In the hallway, I caught up to the master as quickly as possible and remained just a couple of feet behind him. We traveled this way in silence through the castle until we arrived at his study.

The room was brightly lit as if the man had been up instead of resting when Pompeia no doubt delivered Duccio's call.

When Sempronio sat down at his desk, he nodded at the chair before him for me to do the same.

"So, then... You survived?"

His was a patient question, as was everything the man had ever asked me. But I hadn't considered my experience from that viewpoint.