Chapter Sixty-Four

Newly born, he roared at the gleaming Chaste Moon from atop the California Tower's east balcony.

There were mortals in the park who heard him—some likely saw him standing overhead—but I didn't care. My first experience of bringing forth a new wolf overwhelmed me. Though I'd seen the ritual done before, by Sempronio in Como and Maximo in Burgundy, I'd never performed the act myself. It moved me inexpressibly that my first test as Omega was to bring my love, Daniel Archer, into this world.

He turned back at me with an agitated growl, but I approached him without fear. Reaching up, I ran my hand gently alongside his face, curling my fingers around the thick, silken black hair that crowned his massive head.

Welcome, beloved.

He bowed slowly to acknowledge my greeting and let me kiss his forehead.

Disrobing, I prepared for what I'd been dreaming of and transformed to let his physical eyes see my protector again. He unashamedly made his hunger for me known, falling to his knees to sniff my scent. I couldn't stop myself from stirring his attraction. But before he could take me, I stepped back toward the tower's north balcony and leaped into the moonlight. I landed heavily upon the sapphire and canary tiles of the California Building's colossal dome roof.

Follow me, I told his mind.

The construction sat upon the edge of a deep ravine, connected to the west side of the park by the tall Cabrillo Bridge. I leapt down the building's exterior levels until I reached the park floor. Pushing forward, I descended the steep ravine walls into the darkness beyond the reach of the pedestrian lamps. At the small lake near the base of the bridge, I waited for Daniel to catch up.

He was more than distracted by his new strength, and I heard his mind rumble like a storm as it processed the new senses available to him.

Stop here. Quiet yourself and breathe.

Daniel was sincerely challenged to follow my instructions, but he calmed enough to focus on my voice.

Listen to the sounds around us. Do you hear the humans in the park above? Can you see their locations with your sense of smell? Can you feel the rhythm of their minds pulsing together; that noise that pulls and pushes the link between them?

He didn't answer, but I knew he was lost in the compulsive sensations I distinguish.

Now, look at all again, but this time, see it only through my mind.

Daniel did as I instructed. As lycan, we had already telepathically shared images and sounds. I'd shown him memories of my life to reveal who I truly was. It was through my mind he'd seen Henry's crimes. But as a werewolf, he could sense so much more from me. He saw the light in every living being; he heard their hearts beating; he saw the color of their emotions.

Now, run beside me.

I took off north at a frightening speed, flying along the creek that ran through the bottom of the ravine. Staying with me, Daniel witnessed all of life laid out before us. The full moon lit the world my eyes saw, and the light emanating from within each living being illuminated my mind.

A family of coyotes pulled back as they sensed our approach, screaming in fear and warning. Daniel howled back in at them in ecstasy as we passed by.

From up ahead, I saw the red color of fear that I searched for. Up near the top of the ridge, someone was terrified, and the sound of their fear flooded my senses.

Daniel shot forward, his powerful legs pushing him up the ravine slope to a home that bordered the park's northwest edge. He slowed right outside the back door, trying to understand what was happening inside.