「 08 」

"can you guys leave us for a second?" george asked. "yes we can." nick said. "stay safe george."

"thank you guys, i love you. for everything. i love you so much."

"shut up, you're not dying yet."

george laughed at that statement, making the three of them smile.

"i love you too george."

"me too. i love you george. you're the best muffin friend i could ever ask for."

nick and darryl went outside, and closed the door behind them. they walked to the nearest seats to sit down, although it was still a bit far from george's room. they sat and waited, along with the thick air of tension.

"how long?" darryl broke the tension with a question, but it made nick more tense.

"how long what?"

"since when did you had the disease?" darryl didn't look at nick, he was just looking in front of him.

"you know?"

"you're very obvious do you know that? you kept on coughing petals when we rode on the car that was accompanying the ambulance. good thing clay was in the ambulance and didn't see you. but you really didn't care if anyone saw your petals, you were only sobbing beside me, looking at the window, not letting your eyes off the ambulance."

nick chuckled. "the petals must've slipped off my mind. i just kept on praying that time. i didn't know what to do anymore. i hated myself because i'm powerless to help george." nick said before coughing up petals. he looked at them as they were in his palm and darryl looked at it from his peripheral vision. "so you love george now, huh."

"what?"

"you didn't know? the petals only grow the moment you already love someone, whether you realize it or not. all this time it might've been you only liked him, or you deny them everyday that's why they're shallow. george accepted his feelings and didn't care as his love grew deeper. so i'm guessing you're the latter, huh. and since you cough only once in a while, it's not that developed yet, am i right?"

there were a few moments of silence first before nick chuckled. "what are you talking about? i told you before didn't i? i hate george."

darryl eyed him. "stop denying it alreadyㅡ"

"dream has told everyone that we don't often get along, right? it's true. because i hate it. i hate him. i hate how he puts others first in every fucking situation before him." nick took a pause as he coughed up more petals, looked at it, and closed his fist, before continuing on talking, not giving a damn about these stupid petals.

the petals that gave him nightmares.