VII | Stiles

Kissing Rowan was not as weird as I thought it'd be. In fact, it didn't seem weird at all. It felt right, like this was what we were made for. But of course, all good things must come to an end. My phone rang so suddenly, like a siren blaring, causing us both to jump and nearly butt heads. I shot her an apologetic smile while all she did was smile with no hint of remorse, which made me feel good.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, wincing when I took in the picture of Lydia smiling on the screen. I swiped the screen to answer her call, hesitantly pressing the phone against my ear, "H-Hello?"

"What the hell,  Stiles?!" Lydia shrieked, sending me half-deaf. "What happened to 'Wait right here, I'll be right back'?"

Okay, so I totally forgot about Lydia on my quest to cheer Rowan up. My bad. "I'm sorry, I just... got distracted," I murmured, glancing over at Rowan.

"What have you been doing?"

"I was with Rowan, we just got something to eat," I told her, omitting the date part. I wasn't ashamed or afraid of telling Lydia I went on an accidental date with Rowan. I just wanted us to figure us out before we told anyone anything. So I decided to keep it friendly.

I heard Lydia scoff. She and Rowan were not really the best of friends and I never understood why. They were both great girls. Allison gets along with both of them just fine but when it comes to the two of them, it's either awkward silence or snarky comments. Around me, though, they tried their best but you can only do so much.

"Wait, where are you?" I asked her, turning the key in the ignition.

"I'm at your house," she muttered. "Hurry up." And then the line went dead.

I glanced at Rowan who was staring at me with a knowing look. I shrugged apologetically, "We have to head back home. Lydia's waiting there for us."

"You mean for you?" She reiterated as I pulled out of the parking lot. "Because Lydia and I don't get along at all."

"Yeah," I murmured, "Why is that?"

She shrugged, "You."

She didn't elaborate but I didn't think I wanted to know what she meant by me. I already had a feeling but come on, my feelings aren't usually true. That's Lydia's department.

---------

"Oh my god, can you guys try? At least try?" I pleaded with the two most important women in my life right now, "For me?"

"I'm trying, Stiles!" They yelled simultaneously. I groaned in exasperation. There was no way we could all figure anything out about Barrow if all they were going to do was argue.  We haven't gotten anywhere in the past ten minutes. Eventually I ignored them and continued with what I was doing.

"What do the different colour strings mean?" Lydia asked somewhere behind me, probably the bed. Rowan was sitting on the other side of the room, on a royal blue bean-bag chair that belonged to her.

I glanced back at Lydia, proving my assumption right, "Just, different stages of the investigation. So, like, green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue is just pretty."

"What does red mean?" Rowan asked.

"Uh, unsolved," I replied, staring at the board.

"But there's only red on the board," Lydia stated.

"Yes," I replied, turning to glance at the both of them, "I'm aware, thank you."

"Okay, I can't just sit here like this," Rowan muttered, pulling herself up, "I'm going to go take a shower."

"Have fun," I murmured, hearing the door shut as she left.

"Did you get detention for pulling the alarm?" Lydia asked almost immediately after.

"Yep, everyday this week." I nodded. "It's okay though, we were onto something."

"Even though we couldn't find any proof of Barrow being there," she said quietly.

I glanced at her over my shoulder; she was looking around and rolling the red string on her index finger, her eyes doubtful and it just broke my heart seeing her like this. She wouldn't look me in the eye.

"Hey," I tried to catch her attention, kneeling in front of her at the edge of the bed. "You have been right every time something like this has happened. Okay?" I averted my eyes to the red wool on her finger then back to her eyes, taking the green sharpie on the bed beside her in my hand, "So don't start doubting yourself now."

"No scent," she shook her head, "No bomb. And I got you in trouble."

"Okay," I said softly, taking her hands in mine and taking the red string between my fingers, "Barrow was there," I stated a bit firmly, looking into her eyes and nodding. "Alright? You knew it, you felt it. Okay?" I started unwrapping the string from her fingers, her eyes never leaving me. She was still looking at me like that, like she wasn't believing anything I was saying; she was still doubting herself. And I didn't like that she was.

"And, look, if you wanted to.. I'd go back to that school right now and I'd search all night just to prove it."

She smiled, looking down while subconsciously bringing the sharpie closer to my nose. I inhaled, furrowing my brows. Then, I uncapped it and smelt it again. Why did that smell so familiar? Then it hit me.

"Get up," I told her, standing, "Get up now, we're going to the school."

A/N: Not my best chapter and I'm sorry for that but I didn't want to re-write the entirety of episode 3x15 (Galvanise) so I stopped here. I'll try to get my updates up regularly. Try. Thank you guys for all of your votes and comments and god I love you guys so much for the support you guys give me on this story. Don't forget to check out my Lydia Martin ff, Insatiable. It's DRAMA guys, and I love it. And if you like The Originals then you probably should check out my Klaus Mikaelson ff, Alec. It's one of the many Mikaelson brothers books I have in the making. I just posted the prologue so if you guys could check that out it would mean the world to me. Thank you and bye!