I was surprised by my own response. It seems like a weekend away from here made me realize what a toxic environment I live in.

A healthy dose of Luke's honesty had gotten into my system. 

I put tomato, cheese and butter on the counter and opened the bread box.

"What is that?!" I exclaimed, staring at a pound of weed.

It was wrapped in plastic, sitting where the bread should be.

Flora waved it off, "Mom's new boyfriend asked if he could leave it here-"

"Mom's new boyfriend is a dealer?!"

"You're so immature. You don't need to be a dealer to have drugs," she rolled her eyes at me.

"You do if it's a pound," I said.

The doorbell rang and I slammed the bread box shut faster than lightning.

**

"Nicole?"

I was surprised to see Nicole standing outside my door. She was wearing a sleek jumpsuit with a deep V-neck and strappy stilettos. She wore a chunky gold necklace and bangles around her wrist.

"The Dawson house is across the street," I pointed to it helpfully.

Nicole was Charlotte's best friend and I've only met her a couple times. I knew she was a freshman in college, but, like Charlotte, was always visiting home.

"I saw Luke leave your house so I figured you must be here. Charlotte mentioned that you were the next-door-neighbor-turned-girl-friend."

Is that what I am?

"OK," I said, wondering what she was doing here. Did she want some weed?

We have plenty of that.

"How are you feeling?" she asked me with a concerned expression, "That cat incident was horrific, and it was nice of you to organize a burial for..."

"Roger."

"Well it turns out the cat is female and named Winnifred," Nicole said, "I met the owner this weekend."

"You found the owner?" I asked, still lingering on the news that Roger was a girl.

How did we miss that?

"She was putting up missing posters around the neighborhood," Nicole explained, "It's so sad. She lives on number 34. I wanted to let you know, since you could bring her closure."

"Oh, thank you," I nodded. Nicole was right; the owner had a right to know what happened.

Nicole looked like she was about to leave, but then asked, "Are you doing ok? It's beyond words, but let us know if there's anything we can help with. Sometimes, events like these can cause trauma. I hope you or Luke haven't felt that."

I tried not to think of the moment I saw the blood on my bedroom floor and Art's sweater hanging from my doorknob. It could've been paint, but the monster who did this, did it with animal blood.

"Thanks Nicole, that's nice of you."

It was.  It was a kind gesture to let me know about Roger's owner.  Maybe I could find out more about who did this.

"No need to thank me. The Dawson's are like family to me," she squeezed my hand comfortingly and then waved goodbye.

As Nicole walked away, I looked across the street. The other car must have arrived home by now, with Jake and Annika inside. Would it be weird to ask if we can all get back in that car and drive back to the lake house?

**

~Third person POV~

A convertible sped round the corner and skidded to a momentary halt by the sidewalk. 

The window rolled down and Chad yelled from the driver seat, "GET IN! GET IN!" 

His new car had no handles but the butterfly doors opened quickly. 

Austin came sprinting down his front lawn, holding his shirt in his hand. He jumped over his fence and into the car. 

"Go! Go!" Austin exclaimed, one arm through the t-shirt.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Chad muttered and hit his foot on the gas, "Let's see what this baby can do."

The needle on the speedometer rapidly moved clockwise as the car sped through the streets, breaking most traffic codes.

Austin was trying to ring Luke from the car, "We need to get hold of Luke!" 

No answer.

"Try calling Millie!"

A/N: Any guesses on what's going on??  What do Chad and Austin need to tell Luke??

Please vote if you liked the chapter!  I hope most of you are on summer vacation and enjoying it! :)