Chapter 15: Tragic Escape

{Reunion Foot soldier POV}

That was humiliating...Failing in front of all my comrades. I didn't catch the Rhodes Island Operator I had to catch. Me and My friend  Yumi . It wasn't my fault or her fault that the lupo got away. She was way too fast for us. I almost had her...but I ended up tripping over my own feet, and she disappeared in a dark alley. We spent 30 minutes in Big Bob's office getting straight up yelled at, and when Yumi tried explaining her point, he slapped her so hard, that it knocked her backward in her chair. it was a relief when he dismissed us.

Yumi started crying and rubbing her reddened cheek that had a large red hand print on it.

"Rachel, It's okay..." I said, trying to comfort her. I gave her a hug, and she clung to me like a leech. She seemed slightly comforted by the embrace.

"Why did I ever join?" She whispered.

"It's not your fault, Yumi. We had no choice."

I remembered being forced into working with the Reunion. They killed Yumi'sParents and brother in front of her...then took her prisoner where she stayed in a cell for a week without food or water. She finally gave in and joined.

We parted and continued down the old decayed warehouse that served as our hideout.

Our room was nothing but a small room. Yumi lied down on an old mattress.

I sat on a metal chair next to her bed, grabbing a metal flask that sat on the wooden table. the room was dark, the walls were black and warped. the floors were dirty and a faint fog lingered in the air.

"Hey...you hungry?" I said, offering her one of my energy bars.

"I'm not really hungry."

I got up and sat next to her.

"Hey...it's okay...We we will get out." I said very quietly.

she rested her head on my shoulder.

"I hope so...I want to be able to...."

"Don't worry. once we get out, I promise...I'll take you to see the Ocean."

Her face lightened up a bit.

"W-what does it look like?"

"Oh, it's...so beautiful. vast, open water, so far, you could see the horizon. With birds flying overhead."

"Oh my god, sounds heavenly. But how will we get out?"

I leaned in closer to her ear.

"I dug a tunnel under the warehouse. theres an exsisting tunnel, it's like a maze, but one of the ways lead to a sewer. I scoped it out once but it leads to the Serapha River."

" Ako, you're a genious! When do we go?"

"Tonight...when everyone is asleep."

"I hope it works."

"It will."

We sat together in the darkness. I met Yumi when we were kids. We stuck together since we were forced into the Reunion. She kept my sanity in check and so did she.

I peeled open the energy bar and took a bite. I held one out to her.

"Here...eat, I know you're hungry."

"Okay...." She took it and gingerly nibbled on it. but she ate the whole thing eventually.

I wondered what we were going to do after we get the heck out of here. Start a new life, cut our hair, change our names.