Chapter 4

Note : Plz vote, comment, or recommend this book to other people if you're enjoying! It really helps this story get to a wider audience (the goal of every author) and to entertain more people! Thx if you already have. Peace! - 10:30 PM EST 10/17/20

   After Gregor finished his homework, he went for a "walk" but soon double-backed and went straight for the laundry room, all the while looking backwards to make sure no one was following. 

  He took off his shoes since it was raining outside and noise from the laundry room, of course, would attract attention. 

   Gregor's attempts to be silent failed when he got to the closed wooden door that had only two hinges. As he opened it, there was an audible "creak" that someone could probably hear. Hoping no one was in the immediate proximity, Gregor quickly closed the door and went in. 

    However, his hopes could and most likely would be smushed like a bug, with his luck, as proven the old stairs creaking as he went and crouched down next to the washing machine, which, not so conveniently, was sitting right on the vent that led to the Underland. He locked the door from the inside and hoped that no one would try to unlock it, but if they did, then he would just have to hurry up in his way of excavating the washing machine off of the hole in the ground.

  "Hello? Is someone in there?" a stranger said.

Gregor just stayed silent and held his breath, although he wasn't sure that the person investigating would be discouraged immediately.

As a knock sounded against the door, Gregor crouch-sprinted to the nearest hiding place he could gather, and it really was not very good. 

He was just about to curse his luck just as a white and black mouse, no rat, squeaked and ran across to the door, went under it, and well, he could have easily imagined what happened at the other side of the door. It sounded like the rat was quite literally chasing the person across the hallway, with the person, obviously female, screaming the whole time.

"I guess sometimes life is nice to you." Gregor mumbled as he took hold of his flashlight, put it in his right hand, closed his eyes, and jumped into the dark void.