Five

"We have reached Sringiri" Pragyan informed him.

Daksh sighed and didn't say anything he looked at Suruchi sitting with her father enjoying the view of a new village.

Atheracharya announced to his disciples, "We will gather some information about the lion from the villagers. You all scatter around and ask them"

Disciples did what they were told, some went in pairs some alone. Chitra wanted to go with Daksh but he denied saying that if they split it will be easier to gather information. They asked around the village and came back to the meeting point with whatever information they had gathered.

"It comes from the eastern side of the forest"

"Children are the easiest target"

"I've asked around, it's only one lion not more than that"

"It usually comes after sunset"

"Very punctual" Pragyan joked.

"Does it come daily?"

"No"

Atreyacharya went to meet the head of the village and asked him to evacuate the border area of the village which touched the forest to avoid any type of unwanted event. Since disciples were supposed to handle this case anything was possible as most of them were still being trained and were on this trip to gain some experience.

They helped the villagers with evacuation and instructed them to stay indoors. They were hoping for the beast to come tonight or an extended stay will be required.

They all sat on the trees to watch over the area for any activity from the beast ready with their bow and quiver. After waiting for about an hour  Chitra decided to fetch some water from a well, she took everyone's flasks as well and Pragyan accompanied her.

Several minutes passed but they still had not returned. A dark expression of worry swept over Atreyacharya's face. Something was wrong, he ordered Daksh and two other disciples to go check on them and stayed back for the safety of other disciples. 

He had faith in Daksh that he could handle any situation bravely, an act of valor in the past is the proof of his skills.

They mounted their horses and rode in that direction to find their friends. Suddenly they heard a loud roar followed by the clip-clop of horses.

Oh no

They rode even faster and saw Pragyan and Chitra approaching them as fast as they can, followed by the lion. Weren't their horses as fast they'd probably be dead by now for they were stupid enough not to bring their weapons.

The beast was right on their tails; it pounced at Chitra's horse and was about to clutch its back, right at the moment an arrow pierced its eye and it fell on the ground huffing against the dusty pathway it took its last breath.

It was Daksh's arrow.

Chitra and Pragyan felt like their souls have come back from hell. They couldn't even utter a word and laid on their horses' backs. Although Daksh wanted to scold them for going without the weapons it was not the right time.

Both of them were still shivering but Chitra was worse. It's been less than a year she has started the training and this was her first experience trip. Daksh opened one of the flasks she was carrying and gave it to her for a sip of water.

"Th-thank you" she pushed out two words from her mouth with much difficulty. Pragyan was, however, a little better on the other side.

Atreyacharya patted Pragyan and Chitra's back for coming back alive even without weapons for he believed even a little gesture can encourage them to achieve great things in the future.

The news of the beast being killed spread in the village like wildfire and people started coming to express their gratitude. Atreyacharya was already a revered personality in the entire kingdom but Daksh had found new instant fame. 

Not exactly new for he has already had a taste of it but people forgot about someone named Daksh in a span of a year. His popularity was associated with the royal family and the crown prince Atharv. He was often referred to as Crown prince's best friend and his sworn brother. His popularity faded away with the death of the royal family. People did not even know if he was alive.

Night has already fallen and the moon graced them with its silver light. The head of the village arranged for their stay in his own house. As a gesture of gratitude, a feast was announced for them and everyone gathered at the celebration square. People couldn't stop praising Atreyacharya and his disciples. 

It was a happy day for everyone, villagers were happy to be free from the terror, Pragyan and Chitra were happy to be alive, disciples were happy to gain some experience. 

A group of singers decided to give a performance, surrounded by the people they started singing the legends of The Sun Dynasty. How every king was true to the motto of their dynasty which said 'Love thy people'. They worked for people and treated them like their children. Ever righteous monarchs promoted science, architecture, education, and all the forms of art which made the kingdom flourish with knowledge and wealth.

Their performance ended with the massacre of the last royal family of the sun dynasty which made everyone's hearts sink and eyes wet. However, stories of the sun dynasty were forbidden but people refused to forget them and still the legends were told and sung.

After the celebration, everyone started leaving for their homes. Daksh watched standing quietly at the sideline as Suruchi wished her new friends good night. She met so many people today. She was happy to explore a new place, her adorable personality made everyone love her.

The night was still young and the moon was in its glory. Suruchi ran towards him and extended her arms for him to pick her up, so he did and asked, "Did you like it here?". 

She nodded quickly with a huge smile, pumping her fists up in the air she said, "Brother you are so brave". This was probably the fourth time she was praising him tonight. He chuckled at her excitement. 

The moonlight illuminated their faces and their long eyelashes casted a beautiful shadow on their cheekbones, their white clothes swaying with the breeze made them look like descendants of the moon itself.

Their happy chatter was disturbed by Chitra. She awkwardly stood in front of him rubbing her fingers she struggled to say something, "I don't think a thank you is enough to say for what you did tod-"

"It's alright--I did what I had to" after a pause he added, "And don't feel bad about it you'll learn everything soon"

"I want to learn too. I want to become like you, brother" Suruchi said, making both of them laugh.

"You will also learn everything" Chitra said pulling her cheeks.

It was time to sleep so they retired to their respective rooms. Atreyacharya was already in his room waiting for Daksh to bring Suruchi. He tucked Suruchi in bed and went to his room. 

🎀*'¯'*.¸¸.*'¯'* 🎀*'¯'*.¸¸.*'¯'* 🎀

Please vote and comment 👑  and follow me :)