Four

They booked two rooms in the inn and ordered dinner. Daksh waited in Prince Atharv's room for dinner to come. They heard a knock on the door.

Daksh said, "Yes, come in". 

A girl emerged through the door holding some dishes in a big tray. Daksh quickened towards the door to get the tray from her hands, "You are that apple girl" he was shocked.

The girl was equally shocked, "You are here?" It was more of a statement.

They had successfully disturbed Atharv who was cleaning his dagger with all his attention sitting at a low table. He was also shocked to see the girl as a waitress in the inn that too at such an hour for it was not safe for women to work in inns at odd hours.

She came forward and placed the tray on the table where Atharv was sitting, with a sweet smile she said, "Thank you for the earring young masters, you are so kind".

A light shade of red crawled over Atharv's face. Being a crown prince brings him a lot of praise on a daily basis for everyone wants to gain his favor but whenever someone sincerely praises or expresses their gratitude he easily gets flustered. He didn't know what to say so he simply nodded.

Daksh came and sat beside him occupied with some thoughts. After a moment he asked her, "Why are you working here at this time?"

This was his problem; sometimes he'd come out too much straightforward that might offend people who didn't know him personally and most of the time he didn't even mean it. He earned a glare from the crown prince and the girl both. The crown prince knew what he actually meant but obviously the girl didn't.

Fixing his words he asked again "I mean you've worked all day long selling fruits and now you are working here. Why do your parents let you work so much?"

It seems like his question hit her, moisture could be seen in her eyes so she lowered her eyes to hide it. After a moment, clearing her throat she said, "My parents are no more and I have a baby brother who's sick so I need money to cure him"

Daksh felt a pang of pain in his heart. The guilt of asking her something like that consumed him instantly.

"I- I'm really sorry I didn't mean to hurt you" Daksh lowered his head.

She nodded her head a little with a faint smile she accepted his apology.

"I'm sorry to hear that, "Athrav said after some thought he asked, "do you save enough to afford the medicines?"

The girl shook her head and said, "I could save but everything is so expensive"

Atharv, "I've noticed this too. I have been to other cities of this kingdom as well and I have to say this is the most expensive place. Does his majesty charges too much tax?"

"No, taxes aren't high but there is a group of goons who make us pay them or they'd destroy our shops and houses," she said.

This came as a shock to both of them. How something so atrocious is happening in their kingdom and they haven't even heard a whisper about it. What the administrator of this area is doing? Daksh didn't say anything for he was still feeling bad for questioning her like that.

Atharv asked, "So--doesn't the administrator of this province help the people and arrest those goons?"

The girl shook her head, "No, in fact, we all feel that he is supporting them"

Atharv and Daksh exchanged a look. 

Atharv, "Why did no one inform his majesty about this? Uh I-I mean, did no one inform his majesty?"

"We tried several times but our pleas never reach the royal family. Either they are killed on the way to Malvika Puri or they never get to reach the King" 

"I need to go now otherwise the owner will scold me" she added after a moment and started to leave the room.

"May I ask your name please?" Atharv asked sheepishly.

She turned around and said, "It's Chitra"

Atharv, "Goodbye Chitra! We will meet again soon". She didn't bother to ask why they will meet again and left the room after giving a smile.

They got the feeling that something very strange and big was happing here which needed to be solved as soon as possible. They felt guilty for not coming to this city earlier especially when this is one of the most important cities as it is the border of the kingdom and their enemy kingdom starts from here.

The next morning they left for the capital city and the first one to greet them was the little princess Malvika, "We forgot to bring Suruchi with us" Daksh whispered to Atharv.

Malvika jumped in excitement anticipating the arrival of boys with her best friend but her face dropped when she was nowhere to be seen. Her lips quivered and two streams rolled down her eyes. 

"I was waiting for her" she cried and ran towards the terrace of one of the palace buildings. Both the boys ran behind her. She plopped down in the gazebo of the terrace, looking at the vast horizon she cried some more. 

They looked at her for a few moments before approaching her. Suppressing his laughter Daksh said, "We are really sorry to forget such an important matter, your highness"

"It's been 3 days" She cried more rubbing her eyes with her small fist," met her"

Atharv said, "Gurudev must be busy. We will ask someone to bring her or how about you go to her"

"I--will--not--talk--to--you" She announced her disappointment in them in between her sobs.

Both the boys stepped back to a few meters away. After a few moments of dead silence, Atharv said loudly, "Daksh I want to sing a song. Will you give music?"

"Sure"

"In the vast sky~"

"Tu ru ru~"

"We have millions of stars~"

"Tu ru ru~"

They started shouting their so-called song. A chuckle threatened to escape from her mouth but pushed it back for she didn't want to break her angry character right now.

"But I couldn't find that one pretty star~"

"O-O-O-O~"

"Go away" she turned angrier however even after a lot of effort a smile broke on her lips.

Both ran to her and Atharv picked her up in his arms, "You smiled hahahahaha". 

"Daksh? Daksh?" Pragyan shook his shoulder pulling him out of his beautiful memories. 

He didn't realize how long he was in a trance and they were already in Sringiri village.

🎀*'¯'*.¸¸.*'¯'* 🎀*'¯'*.¸¸.*'¯'* 🎀

What do you guys think of this chapter?

Please vote and comment 👑