"Be a teacher. But a preschool teacher." Rocky came up with. "I can see that."

"You just said you could see me doing something different!" I pointed out.

"That one sounded nice!" She defended with a smile, popping some grapes in her mouth. "Don't hate me."

She was clearly no help.

🖤

It was a topic I couldn't let go of, and it came up while the group of us were talking in Mr. G's room before the start of the day. Quincy, Jaleel, and Tahj slowly but surely integrating themselves to be comfortable hanging out with us girls.

"I'm trying to get on this new computer wave." Jaleel spoke. "I have a feeling it's gonna make some paper and I'm tryna be rich and married by 25."

"25?" Raquel repeated, clearly finding it unrealistic.

"24." He corrected with a smile, adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose. "I don't got four eyes for nothing."

"Yeah, it's cause you're blind." Nicki swiped the glasses off of his face and placed it on her own, only to quickly remove them, blinking rapidly. "Woah. What the hell?"

"Their perceptions dumbo." Jaleel responded.

"Well, I'm tryna be like Naomi Campbell." Nicki striked a quick pose, making me let out a laugh.

"The downgraded version, yeah." Jaleel joked, snatching his glasses back, and Nicki just reached forward slapping his shoulder.

"You shouldn't be talking you ugly ducking ass bitch."

"Guys." Mr. G's voice cut in through our miny roast battle. "Watch your mouth."

"What made you wanna be a teacher?" I wondered curiously, looking at him.

"I'm the one who told him to do it." Rocky reminded us, making him let out a laugh.

"Nah, but seriously. You could be doing whatever the hell else there is to do. But you're here putting up with us." Will spoke. "Why?"

Mr. G was alright. He had the looks and a couple tattoos and couldn't be over 27. He made us feel like we were listened to and heard. He let us know niggas didn't have to go running to Nico to get the amount of money they wanted one day, they could get educated and get money the right way. And he wasn't pushy about it, he respected our lifestyles and our hustles. That's probably why we all liked him so much. He looked like us, and he showed us a future different than what we were used to seeing.

"Cause I was like y'all. Talking crazy in class, doing the most, chasing after girls. And when it was all over, I was kinda lost. And I think if I had a teacher like me in high school, who encouraged us to do better and let us know from jump that life outside this building was way different. Maybe it wouldn't have taken me that long to get on the right track."

"What were you tryna do before you wanted to be a teacher?" Q asked.

"A mechanic like my Dad. I love cars." A smile came on his face and I could just tell the thought brought on good memories. "But! I still love my job. Don't get it messed up."

The bell rung, all of us just starting to get our things together to get to homeroom.

"You're welcome." Rocky joked to him as she exited the room.

"Later Mr. G." Tahj added, fist bumping him on his way out, and all of us went our separate ways.

"So you been thinking of anything good?" Q asked me as he grabbed my hand, intent on walking me to my homeroom.

"A secretary. I'm good and organizing and keeping tabs of stuff."

My answer clearly amused my boyfriend. "You can't be a secretary, babe."

"Why not?"

"Cause you deserve better than that." The both of us stopped next to my homeroom door. "You're gonna be something huge. I feel it."

"Then I believe it." I smiled, adjusting his backpack strap. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"I'll miss you."

I leaned forward and placed a small kiss on his lips. "Miss you more."

I stuck around to watch him walk down the hall, with a smile, not quite ready to officially part ways.

"Hey Q." A feminine voice called out.

A girl started to walk beside him with another male. I watched as Q smiled at her and did a quick handshake with the dude before they all continued down the hall. My whole face wrinkling up at how wide the girl's smile was as she continued to look up at him and speak.

I took a deep breath, trying to think maturely about the situation. I was his girlfriend, I had that title, and everyone knew it. So, him being cool with females was fine. I trusted him.

Nonetheless, I walked into my class, took a seat, and started to think.

Maybe being a secretary wasn't that far off, 'cause I obviously had to keep tabs on these females who thought they could be buddy buddy with my man.