Chapter 4:The Date

Start from the beginning

(Zane^)

(Zane^)

"Hey, are you Mia?" He repeated his question and I gulped before answering him.

"Um...yes? Who's asking?" I finally answered while shifting in my seat uncomfortably.

The man stuck out his hand for a greeting and for a moment there, I forgot my home training. I inspected his outstretched hand as if an alien was reaching out to me. I then scanned over his physique while avoiding his eyes. His gaze had me transfixed just a moment ago and I didn't want to get sucked back into them again.

Zane was dressed in a causal navy blue suit with a plain white t-shirt underneath. His dark brunette hair was slicked back and his facial hair was well groomed. Although he wasn't my type, I couldn't deny how handsome he was. Regardless of how Zane looked, a well-groomed Black man with facial hair was my weakness. In my opinion, facial hair was almost like makeup for men.

Finally realizing that Zane had his hand outstretched for far too long, I decided to shake it. The entire interaction between us was starting off awkwardly and I didn't know how much longer I could take of this kind of interaction. Zane wasn't the kind of guy that I expected and if I was being honest with myself, I wanted to end this date right here and now. What was the point of continuing something that I knew wouldn't last? I couldn't believe Alicia had the audacity to set me up like this without at least telling me that the dude was white. I thought Alicia knew me better than that.

I shook my thoughts out of my head and directed my attention back on Zane. We couldn't just stare awkwardly at each other all night. Zane cleared his throat to speak.

"Wow, I finally get to meet the infamous Mia that Alicia has been telling me all about. You're prettier than I could've imagined." He complimented me and any normal woman would appreciate his words. But the quicker I sabotaged this date, the quicker I could get the hell out of here. So I mocked him with my own words.

"Hmm, I'm prettier than you imagined?" I repeated his compliment. "Why, because I'm black? You didn't think I could be that pretty?" I asked bitterly. Hearing the words come out of my mouth made me regret them instantly. Why couldn't I just accept his compliment and move on? Zane looked at me like I had two heads.

"Actually, I had no idea you were black before I saw you. So I'm sorry to disappoint you. I imagined my date to be pretty but you were a pleasant surprise." I didn't respond and so he attempted to change the subject.

"Do you mind if I sit down? We're kind of starting this date off on a weird note and I want to start over." I wanted so desperately to roll my eyes because Alicia dropped the ball on this one. I knew that I had some things to work through on my end but there was no way I was dating this guy. Our entire interaction was pointless. I didn't realize I'd scoffed out loud at my inner thoughts until he spoke up again. Zane took that as his cue to not get comfortable.