Chapter 8: Trash Talk

Start from the beginning

"I can't accept this. You need it more than I need it. Helcurt's eyes are fixed on you. And who knows what lies ahead tomorrow. The track towards Yu Zhong is dangerous and full of deadly assassins."

"No. You better keep it. Magic is my life. In this war, I need to maximize my damage. This Immortality will only decrease my magic output. And as long as you're there, Rafaela, Aldous, Lou Yi and whoever tank we can find out there, I am confident I will not be needing this. Please, take it."

"Fine. If that's what you want, I'll keep it."

Suddenly, we heard a commotion coming from the house.

"Everyone, out! Now!"

We heard Lou Yi screaming! What's happening?

Vale suddenly flew upward, gaining vision of the entire scene. I immediately looked back, and found out that the house was covered with smoke.

"Harith, we're being attacked!" Vale shouted from above. "I'll give you more time, go save them!"

I hurriedly blinked to the house's direction as Vale started his offensive attacks. He was on the sky, casting his Wind Blades followed by powerful tornadoes and whirlwinds.

The smoke affected my motion as I entered the house. I could hardly move my feet. It felt numb and a little bit paralyzed.

"I can't move!" Lou Yi complained. "And I can't use my spells either!"

"Come, take my hand, I'll get you out of here!" I offered.

"Aldous and Rafaela, we have to get them first, they're in bad shape!" Lou Yi suggested.

Lou Yi quickly went to Aldous' room and I hastily went to Rafaela's. But I was shocked to see her in a terrible condition, lying on the floor, with lots of blood oozing from her mouth.

"Rafaela! Are you alright? Please, stay alive!" I held her head in my hands, hoping she will respond.

"Harith, healing prayers for you. Please win this war. Thank you for coming. I cannot die yet without my aquamarine in your hands. My aqua-- aquamarine. Take it. Na-- Natalia. She's here," Rafaela, grasping some air in her last words, with aquamarine now ascending from her fallen body.

"No!!!" I screamed, with anger and sorrow wrapping myself, but I still couldn't cast my skills! Dammit!

Natalia? So we are inside her Smoke Bomb?

Then Lou Yi came, assisting Aldous, and realized what happened.

"Our skills are of no use here Harith! We need to get out fast!"

But Lou Yi's words wouldn't sink in, my eyes were more focused at the lifeless Rafaela.

"Harith, listen to me! We need to avenge her death, but we can't fight inside this Smoke Bomb!"

Avenge her death. Those words were more clear now. I need to avenge her death.

We were on our way out of the smoke when we suddenly heard six loud gunshots coming from behind.

"I think-- I think I'm hit," groaned Aldous, who suddenly fell on the ground. The smoke was now gone.

"Step aside! It's Granger!" warned Lou Yi as she cast her Dispersion that instantly triggered a powerful Yin-Yang reaction. But the explosions did not hit Granger.

"Nice try, Lou Yi! But better wear eyeglasses next time!" teased Granger, casting his Rondo to evade the attack.