Chapter 22: Cerulean Winds

Clear... Everything was clear. Vale never thought his eyes would give him such state of clarity. The reason why he saw Harith and Aldous coming to him. Why he saw Ling killed Pharsa despite the sand barrier. Why he saw Tigreal's concealed Imperial Army even before the fight started. Why he saw everything amidst the dejection of darkness. Perhaps, the whole reason why the invisible winds are clear to him.

The more he thought of Harith, the more his heart felt anger and resentment. Consequently, the more gold his eyes would become.

 Consequently, the more gold his eyes would become

His magnifying vision looked around. He saw Thamuz fighting the last men standing for the Imperial Army. He saw Khaleed, Esmeralda and Tigreal fighting for their lives - handicapped by Terizla's restricting chains. He saw Lesley lying on the ground, severely injured. His eyes did not also miss the afraid Ellie, retreating from afar, as the plain horizons met her. At the peak of the desert mountain, he saw Ling looking at him, together with Benedetta.

"She has decided. Your minion is not coming back." Ling communicated through his mind.

"Take care of her. She means a lot to me. If you fail, I'll look for you and kill you," Vale replied.

"Hmmm. I really want to fight you so bad. But worry not, 'cause when that time comes, her death won't be the reason. I won't let that happen," Ling smiled at him.

Suddenly, Vale's world stopped. His cold heart beat faster. His gold eyes captured another revealing truth.

Water?!  Vale saw magical waters dripping. Some traces of water - shining like brilliant white pearls scattered on the ground. It couldn't be!  His penetrating eyes tracked it and looked for the source.

From the carriage? 

His adrenaline rushed through him as he flew to the remaining locked carriage, half-buried in the desert ground. Casting his Wind Blade, he broke the chains that sealed it. Slowly, he pulled from the carriage the least thing his eyes want to see in this war - a weak and frail Kadita submerged in her own jade-colored waters.

"Kadita! Wake up!" the troubled Vale as he held the unconscious Kadita.

"Don't... don't touch me," Kadita opened her eyes and forced herself a way out of Vale's arms.

"But... are you alright? Let me just... just take you somewhere safe."

"I'm fine. Just let go of me. Let go of my hands," Kadita replied, weak and exhausted. Afterall, she was trapped inside for long hours amidst the war. Kadita then raised her scepter and tried casting a spell.

"Don't force yourself... You're hurting yourse--"

"No, stop! Let go of me!" Kadita made herself clear. "You killed him!"

"What are you talking about?!" Vale, confused.

"You killed Valir!"

"No, Helcurt killed him."