00:05

"Did you hear about that actress that died?"

"Who?"

"Reese."

"Witherspoon?!"

"With-her-knife."

Minghao groans, dropping his head to bang onto the booths table.
"...I actually hate you."

Mingyu sits, oddly proud of himself. The two are sitting in the middle of Denny's, waiting for their food to arrive.

After the previous day Mingyu felt a need to be around Minghao, to distract himself from the predicament that was Wonwoo Jeon. And what better way to distract from your problems than food and friends.

There's a short silence between them, just the sounds of their fellow Nighthawks around the diner.

It makes Mingyu a bit uncomfortable, he's not used to almost awkward silences between the two. Granted it's normally Mingyu who's busy talking, but Minghao normally has something to talk about. Sadly even Minghao seemed a bit out of it today.

Not sure what to say or do Mingyu shifts and sighs, watching his friend before caving.
"What's up with you today?"

Minghao looks up with a raised eyebrow.
"Huh?"

"You just seem out of it today...is something wrong?" He mumbles back.

"I'm fine." Minghao sighs, slumping in his seat. "My parents were just fighting until late last night, and I heard some stuff I wished I hadn't..."

Mingyu frowns, watching his friend.

He felt sympathetic for his bestfriend, he was a guy who worked his ass off in school and gave up a lot of his hobbies to make sure he got into a good school after graduation. The sad thing was that he wasn't doing it for himself, but instead for his parents.

But the thing was that Mr and Mrs Xu had hit a rough patch in their marriage in last year.

Mingyu remembers the first time Minghao's parents had fought in front of him, how upset the younger had been for so long afterwards. He'd called Mingyu that night sniffling and asking to hangout. Thankfully they didn't fight constantly, at least not in front of their son anymore. But the times they did were the worst fights.

Minghao doesn't talk about it much but Mingyu knows it effects him deeply. He'd always been close to his parents, so to see them at odds had flip a part of his world on its head.

And looking at him now, Mingyu can see how disheveled he looked. His hair was ruffled and messy, clothes very lackluster compared to his normal love of fashion, and the puffiness and dark circles under his eyes gave away the rest.

Mingyu feels his chest tighten.
"I'm sorry man...is there anything I can do to help?"

He watches Minghao shake his head, shrugging as he puts on a half-assed smile that doesn't make the other feel any better at seeing it.
"No, but I'm okay Gyu."

He must not look convinced because Minghao continues.
"I promise that I'm fine, trust me."

Mingyu finally nods, meeting his friends slightly dim eyes before reaching his pinkie out in a childish but strong promise gesture. Minghao looks at his hand and cracks a tiny smile before locking their pinkies together, just in time for their food to arrive.

The two shift away from the depressing topics to eat, growling stomachs more important than home life issues.