"I presume you are Mom," Brooke Gray asked, her attention now on my mom. Her hand released from Dad's and extended to my mom.

Mom nodded, a smile equivalent to Dad's fell onto her face. "Yes. Sandi Lodge."

The two shook hands before Brooke dropped her hand back down to her side. Her eyes once again fell onto mine and suddenly, she was beaming. I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Zoe Lodge," she said as she walked out of her doorway. In two big steps she was in front of me and engulfing me in a hug. I stiffened at the physical contact. "It is so great to finally meet you."

My eyes widened in horror at my parents. Help me, I mouthed.

"So Brooke," Dad said, coming to my rescue. He smiled at me. "You must be Lance's wife?"

Brooke let out a laugh as she pulled away from me. I let out a breath. "Oh yes. I forgot to mention that. I am Lance's wife and Aiden's mom."

I blinked slowly, studying the woman in front of me. Brooke looked nothing like Aiden. Wavy, strawberry blonde curls, hazel green eyes. Vast difference from Aiden's dark brown hair and matching dark brown eyes. Even the face shape was different. Brooke's face was round. Aiden had a jawline so sharp that it could cut you. The two looked nothing alike.

"Lance tells me that you are a phenomenal young skater," Brooke said suddenly, changing the subject back onto me.

A sting of heat flooded the apples of my cheeks and I looked down at my shoes. "Thanks."

Normally, I was not awkward when someone complimented my skating. But this time felt different. It was weird knowing that the compliment stemmed from Lance who had barely seen me skate.

Brooke didn't seem to notice my awkwardness. She turned back to my parents. "Come on in. All the parents are in the kitchen playing a game of cards if you would like to join us." She took a step backwards, gesturing us inside the mansion of a home. "Zoe, the hockey team is out back taking full advantage of the pool."

After that, it didn't take long for my parents to ditch me. I was stuck to deal with the hockey heads by myself.

The backyard was filled with the hockey team scattered around. The majority of people seemed to be by the pool or in small clusters around the grass just chatting amongst themselves. A few people sat at picnic tables, stuffing their faces with food.

"Damn, I did not expect to see you here, Lodge!" Brendon hollered, catching my attention from across the pool. I looked in the direction of the water, seeing him quickly make his way over to the edge to pull himself out. I swallowed a nervous breath and made my way over to the pool. The whole group from mini golf was here.

Brendon shook his hair like a wet dog, turned to me with a wide grin as he made his way over. "But," he swung an arm around my shoulder, pulled me into his side. "I am happy to see you."

I frowned, looked down at my clothes. My right side was now soaked thanks to Brendon. "Thanks."

Tyler and Josh each greeted me with a simple hey. Nate cocked his head to the side, studying me closely like I may have been an alien. "Not that I'm not happy to see you or anything, but what are you doing at a cookout for the hockey team? I thought you hated hockey."

I sucked in my lips, glanced around at all the people outside. Nate had every reason to be confused. If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't have come. I did hate the hockey team.

Brendon rolled his eyes at Nate's question. "Who cares why she's here. I think it's great."

Brett appeared on the other side of me, a root beer in his hand. He smirked at Brendon. "Come on bro, you are just hoping that you'll get to see her in a bikini."