thirteen

At lunch, I walked out of the building, instantly seeing Calum parked beside me, leaning against his car as he waited.

"Hi" I smiled to him, watching him extend his hand to me with a smile on his face.

"Hi" he repeated in the same tone.

"What do you want for lunch?" I asked him, seeing his eyes scan the area before looking back to me.

"I know you love Chick-Fil-A, how about we do that?"

I could've cried from happiness.

We went to Chick-Fil-A, getting nuggets and sitting at a booth.

"Andrew is out-" "I know, I was going to talk to you about that after we ate." He spoke, scanning my face for a reaction.

"Do you think he'll do something?" I asked Calum.

"He'd be stupid to." Calum mumbled.

He just didn't know how stupid Andrew really was.

"There's a restraining order against him, if he gets even close to you- he's arrested." Calum told me slowly.

I nodded, knowing he was right.

"I just want to put that part of my life in the past" I mumbled, feeling Calum grab my hand.

"I'm here to make absolute damn sure it stays in the past." He told me firmly, making me smile.

After we ate, we went back to his car where he drove back towards my work building.

I grabbed his hand gently, intertwining our hands, holding his hand firmly.

He looked to me, not saying a word before looking back to the road with a firm smile.

Calum.

I rubbed my thumb across the soft skin on her hand.

This is how I wanted to be forever.

I pulled into her work parking lot and we just sat and talked due to her having extra time.

She played with my hands, twirling my rings and running her fingers over my tattoos.

"How'd you get this job?" I asked her, knowing from what she had told me- it was a cool ass job.

"My mom used to own the company." She told me slowly.

She hadn't ever mentioned a mom or dad.

"Used to?" I asked her slowly.

She nodded.

"My mom was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was twelve, she killed herself when I was fourteen" she told me slowly.

"Oh my god, Alessia- I am so sorry-" "no, it's really okay. I've came to terms with it. She's in a better place." She told me firmly, not having an inch of doubt in her face, so I believed her.

"But, her best friend took over the building and when I turned sixteen he hired me as an intern, I fell in love with the media aspect and went to college for communications and now I'm Vice President of the company." She told me.

"Vice President- oh my god." I spoke, proud of her.

She made herself without much help at all.

"A lot of people in that building hate me because they think this job was just handed to me." She spoke slowly.

"But they didn't see me as a sixteen year old with severe anxiety and depression, no communication skills and extremely fragile feelings, sprinting across the building to bring coffee to the artists that we manage." She spoke slowly.

"I'd cry every night because I felt so awkward- I never knew what to say, I always felt like I stuck out and I fucking hated when anyone would look at me." She managed to laugh through the sentence.

"Just as I went to quit, my moms best friend refused to let me and he helped me learn how to talk to people and how to not be so scared of literally everything." She finished slowly

"And here you are" I smiled to her

"Here I am"