Chapter 3

Paige

My desk is a hot mess. There are styrofoam cups and giblets of paper littered all over it. It looks like a junkyard next to Will's neat, slightly OCD, organized desk. Will makes this place a lot more bearable.

"Hon, how do you work on that crap pile?" Will asks, setting his satchel down.

"The same way you ignore Todd's shitty personality." Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh, but his new boyfriend is an asshole, and that is putting it lightly.

"Sorry, that was uncalled for. I just think you deserve so much better," I add.

His face fell, and I shut my laptop. "Paige, there aren't many options for me. If you know another gay man in Wilton, then we can talk."

"Will, that guy is going to hurt you, would you want me with a guy like him?"

He didn't have to think long to answer me. "No, I wouldn't."

"Just think about it. Maybe take some time for yourself. When was the last time you did anything for yourself?"

"I don't know," he answers honestly.

He leans back and puts his hands behind his head, showing off his arms. Will is a good looking guy. He is that blonde hair, blue-eyed, all-American guy. He is also the sweetest person I know and deserves better. Todd is a jerk and takes advantage of Wills insecurities. Will was a bit of a geek in high school, and Todd likes to remind him of it, and how he is lucky to have a guy like him. I've also noticed that Will has had bruises on his arms. I want to ask about them, but I don't know how to.

"Enough about me. How are you? I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the funeral, but my parents gave me no choice." he tells me, changing the subject.

A couple times a year, Wills parents make Will go to a weekend-long bible camp that they run for the local church. His parents are very religious, and they think by getting him to be more involved in the church, that he will all of a sudden figure out that he is straight. It is ridiculous, but he pacifies them because he doesn't want to disappoint them. I know his parents well enough to know that they love him. They also are not a fan of Todd but not because he is a guy, but because he is a bad guy.

"Will, it's fine. I'm okay. But you will never believe who showed up," I smirk slightly.

He cocks his brow, motioning for me to go on.

"Brett Carter," I announce, trying not to give too much away.

"Your kidding," he says wide-eyed. He continues excitedly, "Oh my God, every other girl had a crush on him, except for you for some reason. I bet he is even hotter now."

"Slow down," I laugh, " It's not that I didn't think he was attractive, it's just," I don't know how to finish because I don't understand my feelings at all from those years.

"He is Derek's best friend and not to mention he had a girlfriend, so it didn't matter anyway. Can you stop looking at me like that?" I glare at him because he looks like he doesn't believe me.

"I have no idea what look you are talking about," he smirks, "Though I do remember Mary Harris, that girl was such a,"

"Bitch," I finished for him.

Mary was Brett's girlfriend in high school and was also the bane of my existence. The crazy thing is, we were friends when we were kids. Then she flipped a switch in seventh grade, and became vindictive and mean. It started with her stealing my first boyfriend, then posting lies about me online, and in tenth grade, she started dating Brett. I'll never admit it out loud but I had a small crush on him then, but before I could comprehend any of what I was feeling, she dug her claws into him. They dated until a few weeks before he left. What he ever saw in her, I will never know.