A secret to hide part 14

Chapter 5

Daniel stared in wonder when Melissa opened the door. She was wearing a layered red dress, low cut to show the perfect crease of Melissa’s breasts. Melissa spoke when she noticed Daniel staring at her.
“I hope I’m not too dresses up” she said.
“No” Daniel smiled. “What you’re wearing is perfect, you look amazing.”
Melissa thanked him, smiling. Daniel led her to the car, being a gentleman yet again by opening the door for her. The trip was mostly silent, Melissa holding back. Melissa had seemed quiet and Daniel was disappointed as he thought they had been getting on lately. Daniel tried, but failed, to start up various topics of conversation but Melissa only said a few words and then they both fell silent.
Daniel hoped Melissa would be better company when they arrived, because there was no way Daniel could put up with three hours of John’s constant chatter about golf. Now that he finally had a date, he hoped John would give the two of them some space.
Daniel could tell there was something wrong with Melissa when they got out of the car. She was just standing there, shivering and not saying a word. It wasn’t a cold night, Daniel had thought, all the same he offered Melissa his coat which she refused. So she wasn’t cold either, there must be something wrong with her. He hoped it wasn’t him.
Melissa cheered up a bit as they got inside, he had noticed the jealous stares from the younger woman in the room, and one in particular, was glaring at Melissa.
He introduced them to john and Sara Flynn first, his personal friends and hosts for the evening. John had been convinced into letting his wife throw the dinner party tonight, Sara had told them, even though John had given into his wife’s wishes quite quickly.
Melissa began a light conversation with Sara, telling her how beautiful her house was, but no matter how much she talked, Melissa couldn’t keep her mind off Bridgewater’s. She needed someone to talk to, she needed Ramona.
Daniel came back to Melissa’s side seconds later, briefly touching her back while giving her a glass of champagne, which Melissa gladly took.
Daniel was pulled away to talk shop with an older man in a dull brown suit. He looked very businesslike and Melissa wished Daniel would be back soon.
She found Sara again, who had left since their last conversation, and they started talking again. Sara was a nice woman, Melissa thought. Probably in her mid-forties.
“So how long have you and Daniel been together”, Melissa heard Sara ask.
“Oh Well um” Melissa began.
“Sorry if I’m asking you too personal a question, my husband keeps telling me to hold my tongue” she laughed.
“Its fine”, Melissa smiled. “Me and Daniel are just friends” she added.
“Oh my, I’m sorry, it’s just you two looked so good together.”
Melissa smiled, “its fine” she repeated.
Daniel chose that moment to join the conversation, finally leaving the work talk behind.
“What have I missed” Daniel queried, a friendly smile on his face.
“I just embarrassed myself in front of poor Melissa here, I thought you two were a couple.” Sara laughed.
“Did you now”, Daniel smiled.
 “And I suppose Melissa set you straight” Daniel continued, grinning at Melissa who couldn’t help but giggle back.
“Why yes she did” Sara answered her friend.
“Well I’ll leave you two alone now, It’s a shame you’re not a couple, you look the picture of perfection together” she smiled, walking away to entertain the other guests. Melissa blushed slightly at Sara’s comment, but turned away quickly in the hope Daniel wouldn’t see.
Melissa felt a wave of sadness pass over her as she was left alone with Daniel once again, remembering how he had sold the Inn and now she was jobless. Daniel noticed the change in Melissa’s expression, the creases in her forehead showing frustration.
“So are you going to tell me what has been bothering you this evening” Daniel said, sympathetic to Melissa’s sadness.
“I’m fine” Melissa brushed him off. She tried to put on her cheerful face but it didn’t work.
“Have you ever thought that maybe I could help” Daniel asked.
“No” Melissa replied straight away. “Because you are the reason I’m upset” she added.
“What-“Daniel began to say, obviously confused. Melissa interrupted him before he had the chance to continue.
“Bridgewater’s is being knocked down and now all the staff have no jobs, including me, all because you’re too greedy for your own good.
“Melissa” Daniel said, sounding concerned.
“Take me home” she replied.
“Okay, I’ll just say goodbye.”
“Fine” Melissa said, looking away.
Daniel caught John and Sara talking with a group of others, “Me and Melissa have to head off now” she heard him say.
“You’re leaving already” Sara replied
“Well Melissa’s not feeling too well” Daniel lied.
“Oh, well I’m sorry, but thanks for coming, it was great to see you”
“You too Sara.” He said, he couldn’t smile.
“I think I’ll just go say goodbye to Melissa. And don’t forget to visit more” she smiled at him.
“I won’t” Daniel smiled. He watched Sara as she walked over to Melissa, standing alone.
“So how long you in town for” John asked him. Daniel turned around to face John.
“Just a couple of weeks, but possibly longer” Daniel replied. John kept talking. Daniel felt worried about Melissa and knew he should have told Melissa that he knew nothing about Bridgewater’s being knocked down.
“Anyway, nice to see you again Dan” John patted him on the back. Daniel said goodbye and walked over to Melissa who had finished talking to Sara now and was standing by the door, waiting to leave. Daniel gave Sara a quick wave and opened the front door for Melissa.
The ride home was silent, as Daniel had expected. Melissa sat next to him, looking away from him out the window, deep in thought. They arrived at Melissa’s in which felt like hours later. As soon as Daniel had parked the car Melissa got out.
“Look Melissa, there’s something I need to say” Daniel said, following after her.
Melissa was fumbling in her purse for her keys,
“Dammit” she cried.
Daniel grabbed her gently, turning her to face him.
“I knew nothing about Bridgewater’s being knocked down” he said, staring at her.
Melissa looked up as Daniel continued.
“I swear that when I sold it, Mr. Odell made it clear that his intentions were to keep the building as it was. Had I known it would be knocked down, I never would have agreed to sell it.”
“Oh” Melissa said, staring blankly at the ground beneath her, Daniel lifted her chin up gently so that she was looking at him.
“You do believe me don’t you” Daniel smiled. Melissa smiled,
“Yes, yes of course” Melissa stuttered, taken aback by his hand on her.
“I’m glad” he replied.
“We’ll I should probably go” Melissa turned, feeling awkward.
“But before you do” Daniel stated.
He put his arm around her waist, pulling her into him and kissing her lightly on the lips.
“Goodnight Mel” Daniel grinned.
Melissa was stunned, but she felt warm inside at his touch. Melissa almost felt glad to hear him call her that name, she was beginning to like it. She watched Daniel go back to his car, before she went inside. She was surprised that he had kissed her, but even more surprised that she had enjoyed it.

Melissa awoke the next morning feeling happy. She had awoken to find what she thought was a dream, had really been a reality. She touched her lips where Daniel had kissed her last night, the memory of it making her heart flutter. She skipped to the shower, not wanting to wash away any trace of Daniel from her, but knowing she needed to shower.
This morning Melissa was trying to be positive. She had decided she would get stuck into job hunting after work today, she knew she would have good recommendations and experience from working at Bridgewater’s and Melissa believed she would find a job…eventually.

She arrived at the Inn an hour later, ready for the day. She had wondered if Mr. Odell would show up at Bridgewater’s again after her meltdown yesterday. She felt she should apologize to him for being so rude, and decided she would ring him later that day.
Getting out of her car, she noticed the Inn was quiet, no builders in sight. Melissa felt relieved, at least that was something she wouldn’t have to deal with today.
Melissa got inside to find her many staff in a more cheerful mood. She was glad, as ever since they had been told about the news, it had put a damper on their usually cheerful moods.
Melissa hadn’t been behind her desk for long before she heard the words,
“Melissa Valentine?”
She sighed, already a problem, she thought. However, when she looked up, all she saw was a young man, holding a large bouquet of flowers. The flowers were beautiful, she noticed the bouquet was made up of all her favorite flowers, yellow tulips, pink roses and white lilies. Whoever these flowers were for, must be a lucky person. She smiled to herself thinking they must be for a guest. She signed for the flowers and read the card. She was surprised, the flowers were from Daniel. She smiled to herself, she had thought of the possibility that Daniel was just being nice to her last night, when he kissed her, but the flowers were proof that he had indeed, meant to kiss her. Melissa didn’t think she could ever wipe the smile off her face. The flowers were beautiful. She wondered how Daniel had known what all of her favorite flowers were, before she remembered Daniel was her best friends brother. He must have called Ramona, she smiled.