A secret to hide part 11

Melissa awoke to a noise from outside. She cuddled up to her blanket, waiting to hear anything else but she didn't. Looking over at Ramona, lying next to her on the couch, Melissa could tell her friend was fast asleep. She looked up at the clock on the wall, one o'clock. She hadn't been asleep for too long. She got up to get a glass of water, and saw Daniel walk into the kitchen, putting his keys on the bench. Her heart skipped a beat, Melissa was surprised to see him. "Where have you been?" was the first thing that came out.  

"I don't have to tell you that", Daniel grinned. Melissa's stomach fluttered. She smiled back.  

"Your right" she said, assuming he had been out with some woman as it was early hours of the morning. Seeing Melissa's disappointment, Daniel answered "Well if you must know" he sighed, "I was invited to a dinner party."  

"How do I know you're telling the truth, for all I know you could have been out robbing a bank" she retorted. Daniel laughed, "Do I look like the kind of guy who would rob a bank?" Melissa said nothing. "Well if you don't believe me, next time I get invited to one of these things, you can come with me." He paused, "It could only do my reputation good, being seen with such a beautiful woman." He smiled. Melissa brushed him off, knowing he was just teasing her. However, she could still feel her cheeks warm at the compliment. "How about it" Daniel asked.  

"How about what" Melissa heard a groggy voice from behind them ask, it was a half asleep Ramona, rubbing her eyes.  

"Nothing", Melissa quickly said, looking away. Daniel was still grinning at Melissa, obviously amused at her embarrassment. "I'm off to bed" he said, walking towards his room. Melissa walked back to the couch before her friend could get another word out of her. Melissa pulled the blanket up as she lay back down on the comfortable couch. "What exactly is going on with you and my brother" Ramona queried, pulling the blanket off Melissa, making her sit up to get it back. "It's nothing" Melissa said, avoiding eye contact with Ramona. "I saw the way he was looking at you, it doesn't look like nothing." Melissa smiled to herself but said nothing. "Fine" Ramona said, retreating back to her side of the couch. Melissa turned the opposite way to Ramona, she was glad her friend knew when to give up as Melissa was not going to tell her friend she had a crush on her brother. She lay awake for a while after that, listening to the rustling coming from a distance and the shower of the shower being turned on. Melissa shivered knowing Daniel was naked, so close to her. She could imagine his lean, muscled body as she drifted back to sleep.

Melissa woke the next morning to the faint sound coming from the direction of the kitchen. Ramona must be making breakfast she thought. She got up dozily from the couch and headed into the kitchen to help her friend. Looking behind her, she saw Ramona still fast asleep on the couch. She looked back to the kitchen to see Daniel cooking breakfast. “Morning” he smiled, looking at Melissa. She suddenly felt very self-conscious. She was wearing a pair of Ramona’s old silk pajamas and a tight fitting singlet. She felt nervous at Daniels glance towards her even though she  knew he had seen her dressed in the same outfit last night. She heard Ramona stirring from the couch. “Have some breakfast” Daniel said, motioning towards an empty chair. Melissa wanted to grab her blanket and wrap up in it like a small child but she knew she couldn’t. She wanted to feel confident in front of Daniel, not act like a child. She sat in the chair Daniel had pointed to. “I hope you like bacon and eggs” he said.

“Actually I don’t eat Meat” Melissa replied. Daniel looked upset. “I’m just kidding” Melissa smiled, “bacon and eggs are perfect, thank you.” Daniel smiled back. Melissa didn’t know what to say so she turned her attention to eating her breakfast, it was delicious. Daniel had sat across from her at the breakfast bar, making Melissa even more nervous, now eating too. There was an empty plate on the table which she assumed was Ramona’s. Twice now her friend had left her alone with her brother, Damn her for being a heavy sleeper. Melissa had remembered she was going to ask Daniel for Mr. Odell’s number to ask him about a job. She told Daniel this and he left the kitchen to get his number for her. After Daniel left the room, Ramona walked into the kitchen now wide awake. “Morning” they greeted each other.

“I wonder why I didn’t think of asking Mr. Odell earlier” Daniel said walking back into the kitchen. “Oh morning sis” he said, looking up to find another person at the breakfast bar. He handed Melissa a piece of paper with Mr. Odell’s details on it. As he handed her the paper, their his hand brushed hers slightly and a shiver went down her spine. Ramona noticed the slight flush on her friends face, she smiled. Ramona knew there was something going on between her best friend and her brother. They all finished their breakfast with few words spoken, then Melissa made her excuses to leave. She had to shower and go to work. “Why don’t you take the day off” Ramona said, “You hardly ever take sick days and I’m leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow.” Ramona smiled at the latter. “And I know the boss won’t mind” she grinned. After much persuasion, Melissa decided to call in sick. The night manager, Rob, would be filling in for her. Melissa took a shower and borrowed a top from her friend and they headed out for a day of shopping.

Melissa was tired when she got home that evening and was relieved to be back at her own house. Melissa had bought a new red coat and a nice pair of strappy black high heels, she was pleased with what she had bought. Melissa retired early to bed, enjoying the company of Chester and a bed all to herself, not to mention a house without Daniel. Daniel had not come shopping with her and Ramona as, even though Melissa had taken the day off from the Inn, Daniel could not. She was slightly disappointed at this, as she was beginning to think Daniel was not so bad after all.

The next day Melissa got up early as Ramona was leaving for Las Vegas and she was finishing work early today to see her friend off. At work the day was busy and went quickly and so Melissa was relieved to see Ramona walk through the front door of the inn, just after lunchtime. When Melissa saw her, she could tell her friend was excited. Melissa had to smile, although she would miss her friend dearly. She was however, pleased to see her friend happy. Melissa gave last instructions to Gary, who was covering the rest of her shift, and left the Inn with her friend. She was surprised when Ramona headed towards a red Ferrari in the car park and was even more surprised when she saw Daniel in the front seat. He was talking to Josh, whom he seemed very familiar with. Josh was sitting in the passenger’s seat. “Girls in the back” Ramona smiled. They both chatted continuously during the thirty minute drive to the airport, the guys talking about the upcoming cricket season, and the girls talking about how great the shopping in Las Vegas would be. They arrived at the airport, Melissa realizing she had not been here in years, since she first arrived in Brisbane after her parents divorced when she was nineteen. Her mum now lived in Sydney and her dad had moved to New York. Melissa had forgotten how large the airport was, as she could barely remember it. They waited inside until Josh and Ramona had to board the plane. Daniel had shouted them all coffee before their plane left, in a small café at the airport. Melissa now hugged her best friend goodbye, tears welling up in her eyes at the thought of being without Ramona for three weeks. She could see the tears in her friend’s eyes as well. She shook Josh’s hand and watched Daniel do the same. The embrace he gave his sister was brief, but touching. They both stood watching friend and sister walk up the steps to board the plane to Las Vegas.

__________________________________________________________________________

Hello all:) Thanks for reading my story! Am hoping you all enjoy it. Please let me know what you think of the story so far, any feedback would be appreciated! have been trying to upload every day but am soon nearing the end of what I have written so far. Anyway keep the comments and feedback coming:) would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for reading:)

Tuala23