Chapter Forty-One

NOVA LEE STUMBLED BLINDLY OUT OF THE PALACE DOORS. Even the sound of her own feet upon the grass troubled her aching head. There was blood upon her, dripping at a steady rate down the bend of her cheeks. But she didn't dare stop or turn around out of fear of what she had done.

Is he dead?

Nova wondered letting her mind slip back to the fallen guard.

Have I just killed a man?

Once she was a fair distance from the large structure she collapsed in a pile onto the dirt. Her mind raced at such a quick rate that she couldn't keep up.

Am I just as bad as my father?

She cautiously extended her hand to the tender spot on her skull feeling around for a bump the size of a ball. Her hair was damp with blood, her heart cooled with fear. Nova Lee had never been anything but ordinary her entire life. She never strived to be anything above, she never took leaps of faith, she never felt her existence had purpose. To live 24 years in fear.

Human.

The word taunted her mind like it wasn't meant to be there. Like the taste of it felt wrong on her tongue.

Humans can't do that. Mortals can't wield the power of a god. Humans cannot kill a man with a single touch.

Nova shook her head trying to clear her clouded vision.

"He's not dead," she said aloud to the tall grass brushing against her calf, "I couldn't have. I must have imagined it."

But the truth stood blatantly in her face, in fact she felt it all along. The trickle of electricity below her skin. The tension felt when touching Thor. Thor hadn't simply saved Nova's life that day, he also changed it. She was no longer living the life of a human.

When her thoughts grew too much, Nova cried until her head throbbed. She knew sitting in a pile of weeds with a mild concussion would do no good for her, but she couldn't bare facing the god. The god who gave her everything, the man who gifted her a piece of himself.

But what if I don't want it?

She wondered touching the scar along her chest.

But what if it has been your purpose all along?

Nova let out a heavy sigh, before letting the comforting blackness consume her.

•••

The girl dreamed of terribly familiar things. Her body was back on earth. She was in New York wandering through an ally calling for her mother. But her mother wasn't there, the bad men were. They taunted her and grabbed at her bare skin ignoring her furious yells. But their words didn't last long, for soon her chest erupted with bolts of power that grabbed ahold of their bodies and stung them to death.

Nova Lee woke up with a jolt at the image of the burnt men. She expected to be under the sky but instead she stared ahead at a lavish chandelier. Instinctively she reached out to touch her injured head but found a bandage concealing it.

"I'm glad to see you are up," a feminine voice said causing Nova's head to turn too quickly for her liking.

The girl winced at the action but quickly remembered the women from the hall.

"You are their mother," she said to Frigga having a hard time fully piecing together words.

The women nodded her head with a smile coming to the side of her cot to look at her more closely. Frigga placed her hand on Nova's forehead while she looked wide eyed up at her.

"How did you know I was going to see Loki?"

"My instincts always seem to be correct."

Nova frowned as she took her hand away. She had so many questions for the women but was most concerned of her recent incidents.

"You found me in the fields.. did you follow me?"

"I have no need to follow you, I happened to know what you were up to long before."

Nova took a long pause, mostly to contain her thoughts but also for the sake of her aching head. Thor's mother was no fool, she would see right through the girl if she were to pretend nothing happened. She chose her next words carefully, as if it were a confession.

"I have done something terrible, something I didn't believe was possible."

A knowing smile from the woman made Nova's insides twist.

"It is a shame, poor Edwin but the man really should listen to a lady when she expresses defiance."

Although Frigga's face held a calm look, it only further worried Nova Lee. Of course the woman knew what happened to the guard, her knowledge was far greater than those of Midgard.

"You know?" Nova asked with eyes as large as deer.

"Have no frets about your newfound abilities dear Nova, it's simply the result of my sons selfless act."

The brunettes eyes crinkled with confusion, she couldn't tell whether it was her concussion or the lady's words that were getting to her head.

"Ho-how?"

"Nature demands balance, of course you understand that very well. Thor sacrificed much of his own powers to save you that day. If it weren't for the lightning sparking among your veins I simply don't believe you'd be alive right now."

Frigga's words turned rushed as she touched a strand of Nova's dark curls.

"I assure you everything will fall into place, but for now you must deal with my son," she leaned in closely to the girls face, "he mustn't know about the body, but I am afraid he has discovered your interest in the prisoners." 

That alone seemed to strike more fear into Nova then if he were to have found the body.

———

leave me your thoughts in the comments 💓💓