Chapter Five

NOVA LEE WAS NEVER A FIGHTER. She would much rather try to understand a situation than use violence. Even when her mother had her trained for self-defense, Nova continued to believe as a writer, that words could be just as powerful. This however did not stand true when the girl woke up.

She screamed and kicked ignoring the pain in her limbs, trying to remove the cords attached to her body. She had no memory of where she was or how she got there. But in Nova's mind, she was taken from her home, she was taken unwillingly, and she was ready to fight. By this time, Stark's home was filled with the sound of screams causing Steve Rogers to run in helping Bruce hold her down.

"Shh- It's okay we are trying to help you!" Steve assured as he quickly grabbed her arm from swinging. Her brown eyes looked around frantically trying to recognize the man in front of her. For a second she stopped thrashing but kept her arms in front of her body as some sort of shield. "please, don't hurt me," she whispered peering her eyes down to Banner who gently held down her broken leg.

"What the hell is going on?" Tony questioned coming into the room after hearing all the commotion. "She doesn't remember," Banner replied staring at the girl nervously as Tony knelt to her level.

Nova gently put her arms down, letting Steve lay her body back down on the couch. Tony looked at her as if he was trying to form words in his mind.

"Can you tell me your name?" He asked patiently. The brunette tucked a strand of hair behind her ear glancing away from Stark.

"Nova Lee Statman" She responded quietly before continuing, "I live in New York, I'm an editor for a magazine." Her forehead wrinkled slightly as she continued to talk, "I can't remember how today started...I don't know who you are."

Tony finally nodded standing up with crossed arms, "well Nova, let's get you cleaned up then I promise you we will answer all the questions you have."

Nova nodded nervously as Steve grabbed her hand gently lifting her from the couch. When they left the room Bruce Banner pushed up his glasses speaking suddenly, "amnesia," he muttered to Tony.

Nova stared at herself in the mirror. Her cheeks were flushed red, her freckles barely peeking through. Her eyes were dark, along with the circles underneath them. There was a cut on the side of her head. It was hard to tell what was blood with all the dirt staining her body.

She pulled down her hair running her fingers through its curls as she turned on the shower head. As she slipped off her tee shirt she noticed something. Jagged lines etched out onto her chest. Blue-looking roots stemming out from her heart. Nova thought she was imagining the scars of lightning on her skin. Her hand shook as she traced them with her fingertips.

Her eyes moved back up to the mirror as she saw a tearful expression staring back at her.

"What the hell."

~~~

Tony Stark felt torn about the girl, after all, he wasn't sure how to react to a stranger in his home. Natasha, Bruce, and Steve sat with Tony to discuss the matter.

"If she has family, we can just help her get in contact with them," Natasha suggested crossing her arms firmly against her chest. "Let's just keep her here until Thor gets back. It's not like Tony doesn't have the room," Steve said sarcastically. "As much as I'd love to open my home to everyone, there is some top secret shit going on in here that I don't need the public discussing." Tony snapped back quickly.

"And you wanna go against the God?" Bruce said taking a sip of his coffee before he continued, "look, I agree with Nat. Thor said he would come back so I think until then we keep her here and try to help her out as much as we can."

"The last thing we need is people to begin hating us after what happened to their city," Natasha stated pointing to the window where buildings laid crumbled. "Do you think I care who hates me?" Tony shot back, "we had a job to do, it was either fight in this city or let aliens invade the earth. I think we made the right choice."

Steve rolled his eyes standing from the table, "How about we just ask her what she wants? Ever think of that? She may have amnesia but she can still make decisions for herself."

Steve left them there to bicker as he knocked on the door of the restroom. "Nova, you alright in there?" he asked waiting patiently by the door.

The door opened slowly as the girl stood by the doorway not moving. Without the dirt on her skin, Rogers could see that she was in her twenties. She still had a towel in her hands and a frown playing on her lips.

"What is this?" Nova asked pointing to her chest. Rogers already knew what the girl was talking about without even looking. "There was an accident, your heart stopped and CPR had no effect. One of my men had to use his abilities to shock your heart back into rhythm. We really do apologize for that Miss but we were just trying to keep you alive," Rogers explained vaguely seeing if the girl could remember anything.

Her eyebrows tilted in confusion, "What kind of accident...like a car accident?"

Steve looked at her with concern in her eyes, if she didn't remember what happened to her then she may not remember what happened to her city.

——

don't forget to comment and vote!