he likes boys

The final note of the last hymn rings throughout the parish. The organ located in the front of the room echoes a happy tune as it always does at the end of Mass every Sunday. Jungkook bends down to grab his mother's jacket for her as they exit the pew. It's weird going to church without his older brother. Junghyun left for another year of college on the other side of the state a month ago, and Jungkook feels the absence.

"Jungkook," his mother says, reaching for her jacket. "A new family moved to the parish, the Vincent family. I heard they have a daughter your age. Maybe you should introduce yourself."

Jungkook sighs. "Mom, I'm not looking for anyone to date right now. I'm still young, I have enough time to find a girlfriend." Jungkook is lying through his teeth, but he isn't ready to tell his mom the real reason why he won't date.

His mom huffs. "You're the only boy I know who isn't totally girl-crazy. I don't know whether to be concerned or thank God for such a well-behaved child."

Jungkook's dad laughs. "Leave him alone, darling," he says. "Let him do what he wants."

"If I leave him alone, he might turn out like you," his mother jokes.

"Well, we certainly wouldn't want that to happen, now would we?"

Jungkook laughs at his parents. He loves them so much. He doesn't want his relationship with them to change, which is why he's hesitating. He saw the way Elisa Silva's parents reacted when she told them she liked girls, and he didn't want his parents to hate him for who he loved. Jungkook thought of becoming a priest so he would never have to tell his parents he liked boys.