FIFTEEN. house of trickery

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Frowns stitched on their faces, River, Patricia, Fabian, and Alfie made their way back into the busy student lounge/drama room. The first person who saw and approached the quartet was a worried KT Rush.

"You guys didn't find Amber?" The curly-haired girl questioned, her tone mixed with shock and worry.

"Oh, no, we did. She's just invisible now," River responded, sarcasm dripping on her words. "It's like she disappeared into thin air!"

"We searched the entire gatehouse," Fabian told her. "Nothing."

"Unless there's some sort of secret hiding lair thing," Alfie added.

"You guys, this is bad. Really bad," KT stressed. "What did Miss Denby do with Amber?"

"Look, guys, we need to tell Mr. Sweet and Amber's dad."

At Alfie's suggestion, River sighed but nodded in agreement. "We can't run from this anymore."

Fabian and Patricia nodded along, the former saying, "Okay, let's go." Thus the four friends made their way out of the student lounge/drama room, defeated looks on their faces as they searched the corridors for Mr. Millington. It took a while to find the man because he was nowhere in the school hallways. However, as the quartet entered the corridor leading to the headmaster's office, they finally found the white-haired man standing before the office. "Mr. Millington," Fabian called the man who looked toward the four teens approaching him. "It's about Amber."

"She's gone missing," Alfie immediately said. "We haven't seen her since yesterday."

Mr. Millington's face dropped. "What?"

River nudged Alfie's side. "Way too straightforward, dude."

"Yeah, you could've just led up to that, Alfie," Patricia added.

"River, is this true?" Mr. Millington asked River. He was the only one of her friend's parents who called her by her preferred name, so it was clear that there was trust between the two.

River sighed and nodded. "Yeah, it is. We've been trying to get a hold of her and look for her, but nothing."

Everyone's attention went to the headmaster's office when the door opened and closed, revealing Mr. Sweet. "Uhm, Mr. Millington—"

Mr. Millington cut him off as he turned to face him. "Apparently, Amber's gone missing."

Mr. Sweet glanced between the man before him and the kids standing a few meters away. "Well, not missing exactly. I mean, I know where she is. She's over at the gatehouse with Miss Denby." River shared a confused look with her friends. They had just been to the gatehouse and Amber wasn't even there. What game was Sweetie playing at? "It's fine. I'm going over there now to sort everything out. Everything's fine."