Chapter Twenty- Mountains

Start from the beginning

Atu began walking up the side of the mountain trying to gage if it was possible to see the route ahead.

Lingering behind, she wandered over to the Commander she had- at least- the responsibility to forewarn the Commander of the events about to transpire. If he was indeed working for The Darkness then he would be learning nothing new and there would not be much he could do now with such a small group of soldiers next to foreign land.

"Commander, a moment?" She asked.

"Certainly." They walked further up the path out of both earshot and sight of the soldiers and the group.

"Has the Empress told you who we are and why we must make the journey we are taking?" She said.

"No, Sister. My brief was only to escort you to the border- that was all." He replied, shaking his head.

"Then there is something I must tell you, Commander."

He nodded, watching her closely.

"Before our great creator Elementi left this world he cast into it elements of himself, knowing that a day would come when The Darkness fought back against the light." She paused, only continuing once he nodded again in understanding.

"That day has arrived, Commander." She said gesturing to her traveling companions. "Princess Iasa can control Fire, Chief Atu the wind and his brother the earth. I can control Spirit and Bren had Dark blood in his veins. Not enough to stray him from the light, but enough to counteract the Dark Ones magic.

The Commander started at her, his gaze slowly flickering between the others.

"How long do you have until The Darkness finds you?" He asked.

"They found us on Sher Wood and know our faces, before that they attacked God's land hoping to draw out the Princess after hearing rumours of her power."

The Commander nodded. "They will be following you to Admari?"

"No. Somehow, they arrived before we did."

He scowled. "I will inform the Empress and put together a search and destroy party." He grasped the hilt of his sword.

"Commander- the Empress already knows." She took a deep breath steeling herself for the next sentence. "Kas and I sneaked into the city last night. A Seer from the House of Elementi told us what she had seen. I am sorry, your Empress is working with the Dark Ones. I understand it may be hard to believe-."

"I do not believe your lies!" He shouted stepping forward so their noses were nearly touching, his breathing laboured and eyes narrow as he looked down on her.

"When we return with the last element, your Empress will no doubt accuse us of some ungodly act and have you arrest us. It will be an excuse to have us killed so there is nothing stopping the Dark Ones from claiming this world for The Darkness. You will be doing their work for them, like puppets on a string. I tell you this so you know when the time comes who is really giving the orders.

You and your people need to make your own decisions over the fate of this land. Rest assured if you choose to side with your Empress we will destroy you. We are more powerful than anyone could ever imagine and we are your only hope." Eboni met his steely gaze, matching his commanding presence.

"Eboni?" Kas said stepping forward, his bow and arrow readied as he locked gazes with the Commander.

"Good luck with your journey- I will be here when you return." The Commander stepped back, his gaze stone cold and face expressionless as he made his way back to his soldiers.