Chapter Twenty Eight- Kas

Kas watched as Admari disappeared into the horizon.

It was the first time since the fighting where he had a moment to look over the others and check for injuries.

Orlan and Kimi were the only ones with blood on their clothes, whether it was theirs or someone else's he couldn't be sure.

"Orlan- the blood, is it yours?" He asked pointing to the patch of reddened tunic.

Orlan looked down, surprised to find blood on him, pulling up his shirt to see if he had in fact sustained an injury.

"No. Thank Elementi." He replied after running his hand across his chest to see if he was hurt.

"Kimi, what about you?" Kas asked pointing to her leg.

She looked down, wincing as the shock and adrenaline of the fight wore off, now leaving her in pain.

Raus jumped up from the deck, racing over to his friend.

"I'm fine, just a scratch." She said, ripping the leg of her trouser off revealing a nasty gash.

"Oh my!" Iasa gasped as everyone took in her injury.

"This is war, the fact that only one of us has an injury is something to be thankful for. Worse is still to come." Kas said, joining Raus by Kimi's side.

The boat fell silent as his words sank in as Kas tied Kimi's ripped trouser leg around her wound to try and stop the bleeding.

"Once the bleeding has stopped I will grow some plants from my home that we use for healing. Your leg will be fine." He said, Kimi nodding thankfully in reply.

"Are you ok Kimi?" Eboni asked quietly.

"I'll be fine, are you ok?" Kimi's look of concern startled him, did she not look ok?

Turning around he looked her over worried. She was crying. Was she in pain? Had he not protected her well enough?

"Eboni?" He asked, his eyes not resting until they found where she was hurting.

"I am fine, honestly. I'm just going to rest a while. Are you good Atu?" She said, turning to his brother who was still stood, his hand outstretched, controlling the winds.

"I'll be fine for a little while longer. Go and sleep." He smiled sympathetically.

Why was he smiling like that? Kas wondered- Did his brother know something he didn't?

"I'm going to rest too, if you all don't mind?" Kimi said staggering upright.

"I'll help you." Iasa said, helping her stand before wrapping Kimi's arm around her shoulder to give her some support.

Kas watched as the girls disappeared below deck, still confused as to why Eboni was crying.

"Don't look so confused brother, this is her first time in war. It has come as a shock even though we have known the fight was coming and prepared for it. Give her time to rest, we will all talk once our powers are fully restored.

Kas just nodded in reply. Turning to the railing he looked out to the ocean trying to make sense of everything that was spinning through his mind.

Feelings. He hated them. There had been no need for complicated feelings until the last few weeks.

The indescribable loss, anger, sadness and pain as his mother died in front of him. He had been powerless, weak. Vowing never to love someone as much again.

Then her. The need to be near her, happiness when he woke up beside her. Happiness when he sees her smile. Pain when he saw her sad.

"You like her don't you?" Bren said, coming to stand by his side. His fingers were wrapped around the hilt of his sword that hung by his belt.