Chapter Ten- Docked

"It's freezing!" Iasa shrieked, her hand pulling away from the tub filled with fresh water.

"Well do something about it then." Eboni sighed, her eyes tired from lack of sleep.

Iasa had woken her at sunrise to help her fill a tub full of fresh water so she could start to preen herself before they docked. After filling a tub for Iasa, one for herself and bowls for Orlan and Bren she was ready to go back to bed.

"Oh." The understanding that she could now use her powers on her own dawned on the Princess.

Watching closely, ready to step in case she lost control, Eboni waited until the water began to steam before ambling her way back to her room.

The light green dress, shoes and ribbon had been carefully laid out on the bed earlier that day. Her muddy and ripped nightgown and cloak discarded in the corner.

She shrugged out of the thick black cloak she had used as a bath robe and dried herself and her hair with a cotton sheet that had been found among the clothing.

Slipping into the dress she smiled to herself, amazed at how comfortable it hung from the curves of her body and how good it made her feel. Not that she would ever admit that out loud.

Putting on the shoes she was pleasantly surprised at their snug fit. She drew the line however at even contemplating how to use the ribbon.

Leaving it laying on the bed she wandered up onto the deck, the warm air and cool breeze leaving pleasant goose-bumps across her skin.

As she passed Orlan, who was stationed behind the captain's wheel, he smiled and nodded towards the horizon. Turning she noticed Bren, standing motionless staring out to sea.

"How did you sleep?" He asked as she stood beside him, his eyes not moving from whatever they were transfixed upon.

"I didn't- not really." She whispered, her eyes drinking in what lay before her. "Is that-?"

"Yes." He replied.

On the horizon, seemingly only a centimetre high was a thin line of brown sandwiched between the sea and the sky.

"Rolezal." She laughed, gripping onto the side of the ship to remind her that jumping off and running across the sea would be a terrible idea as they tried to arrive with a low profile.

"We are three hours away." Orlan announced from behind them.

Bren turned to face her his eyes dancing with glee. "I can't believe we are nearly there- It seemed like an impossible dream we have had for all our lives and now-"His voice cut out and his eyes grew wide as they flickered up and down her body "-You look umm.... Different." He stated his voice numb of emotions.

"Different?" Eboni scoffed. "This is the first time you see me wearing something that is actually not half bad and all you can say is 'different'?" Rolling her eyes, she walked back to the stairwell "-Men" she scoffed as she descended the stairs- intent on telling Iasa the good news.

After a quick knock on Iasa's bedroom door she entered to see the Princess perched on her bed, head to toe in pink, expertly weaving a pink ribbon into her hair.

"Where did you put your ribbon?" She demanded- her eyes narrowing as they took in her limp and unwoven hair.

"I think there are more important things to think about than ribbons- Like the fact that we are three hours away from docking.

"Then you are wrong. Right now, there is absolutely nothing more important than you having a ribbon in your hair- you want to fit in, don't you? Not having a ribbon in your hair will only draw attention to you." Iasa giggled as Eboni was rendered into silence, her mind running through every possible argument against the blasted ribbon- but every time she added Iasa's comebacks and reasoning into the mix- all her arguments fell short.