Borrowed Shade (MystresMyna)

"I've been waiting for you."

"What? Who said that? Who's there? Where are you?"

"I've been waiting for you."

"Me?"

"Yes, for six long years, I have been watching you and waiting for this moment to speak to you." 

"Who are you? Where are you? I am not supposed to talk to strangers." 

"I am not a stranger; we have known one another all your life. It is your birthday; is it not?" 

"Yes, but how do you know that? Where are you, I can't see you."

"I am right here next to you. Do you not know me? You have borrowed my shade, you have watered my roots with your tears, you have fed my soul with your laughter. You call me TeeTee. You first sat beneath me with your mother just days after you were born. I have looked after you ever since and waited for this day to come."

"You're a tree!! How can you be talking to me?"

"All will be reviled to you, for now just know that I am yours and you are mine. I will watch over you and be here for you always. On the twelfth of every month you may come to me and I will be here for you."

 **********

"TeeTee are you there?"

"Yes, of course, I am here, Happy Birthday."

"TeeTee, your leaves are all gone, you have no more shade to lend me."

"My roots are withered; you have no more tears to water them." 

"TeeTee my breath is shallow; I have no more laughter to feed your soul. Ninety years you have been with me; growing up, marriage, children, grandchildren, great grands. Thank you, my dearest friend." 

"Now is not the time for words, lay beneath me one last time, let us return to the earth."