Sage (ifana8)

Rain was always windy, but today brought gale. Nevertheless, Sage resisted the strong wind, hugging me with her branches for hands, her lenticel for a mouth open in silent mourning. Sage's leaflessness was an open secret she was dying, but they couldn't wait until she passed peacefully before felling her. Apparently, she only occupied housing space now she no longer bore fruit. No one in Rain needed her anymore, except me. 

Since forever, Sage and I had had only each other. As the town's pauper, my shelter was under her canopy. Her children filled my stomach too, back when she wasn't barren. Sage didn't mind. My company worthed more than the fruits which only turned rebellious and dropped from her arms anyways. On days when the wind was cold, counting Sage's many annual rings comforted me. Someone that old must have much wisdom. Naming her "Sage" wasn't a mistake. 

"I can't believe they're felling you today." 

Sage's trunk tilted in a nod. On this day for the past six months, some citizens of Rain had been visiting Sage to treat her. If burning her waist counted as treatment. For easy felling, boy. It's thick, the mayor eventually spat when he tired of my protesting screams. Like that was meant to calm me. I fought these men everytime they came, to no avail. Beaten senseless, I only watched Sage moan, arms swinging painfully in the wind as they worked. 

"What do I do, Sage?" I rested my head on her stomach. Sage only raised her hands, just as clueless, and even more tired than I'd ever seen her. She seemed to shrivel in the gale. 

I needed Sage, but it was too late. Kissing the side of her mouth, I wished she'd die before the lumbermen arrived. 

"Sleep well, Sage."