Chapter 24 - Gifts

There wasn't much time left and while I had anticipated this wedding, I all of sudden no longer felt ready

There wasn't much time left and while I had anticipated this wedding, I all of sudden no longer felt ready. I was too young. Too juvenile to do this and I felt horrible for even doubting everything. I knew I wanted Islo more than anything in the entire world. He was my world.

As I looked at him in his white wedding suit, getting it properly fitted, he looked so handsome. Amazing how such a man could love someone like me.

"What do you think, Quinn? More space for my shoulders or no?"

I smiled and took a sip of my coffee. "It looks good as it is now. You don't wanna feel like you're in a strait jacket either. And now it's perfect."

He smiled, his cheeks turning slightly darker as he straightened the jacket a little. "Alright, it's done then." He pulled the jacket off and handed it to Àbram. "Just needs the buttons and we're good to go."

"Yes, my lord. Buttons on the shoulders and for closing it," Àbram said and bowed.

"Tell me honestly, Àbram, does it even look good? You can't get a straight answer out of Quinn." Islo smirked at me as Àbram's pale cheeks reddened.

"Yes, my lord. You look very handsome." He bowed again, maybe to hide his blushing. Seemed like I wasn't the only one crushing on my fiancé.

"You can leave us Àbram. Let my husband change into his normal attire," I noted, not wanting to encourage this.

Islo glanced at me as he slid his black suspenders off his shoulders. He came to the couch, limping with the cane by his side.

"Do my eyes betray me or are you jealous?"

Àbram didn't stop to hear my answer, he dutifully left the apartment without hesitation. I frowned up at my fiancé.

"Don't encourage him, please."

"I wasn't," he chuckled and sat down next to me. "You have nothing to be jealous of, Sweetness. But I can't help but be flattered that you are."

I rolled my eyes a little dramatically, but in reality, I wasn't bothered by his attention.

"Are you afraid of losing me?" he murmured and leaned in, kissing me.

"Yes," I breathed. I wasn't really. I trusted him enough to not be afraid he'd leave me anymore. Mostly. There was still an underlying fear, he, like everyone else, would disappear out of my grasp.

"You will never have to be. No one is as beautiful as you."

I pulled back and pretended to be offended. "Are you only with me because I'm pretty?"

"Oh by all the spirits and the gods, yes." He laughed and pushed me down on my back, placing soft kisses on my cheek. "And because you are strong. Kind. Hilariously funny. Because you're nice to my daughter. And... You like my freckles."