Chapter 15: Out of the Past

"Aaand... we're done," Ratchet announced and removed the laser tool from Starscream's chestplate. "Now you're officially one of us."

Ratchet stepped back to give the Seeker some space. Starscream sat up with his legs touching the floor, and gazed down at his brand-new Autobot insignia, in the same place his previous Decepticon insignia had been situated. It was red, just like his former insignia. Fitting, as the official Autobot insignia was technically red, while the official Decepticon insignia was purple, though on bots these insignias tended to vary in many colors. This color variation was less common in the early and middle days of the war, becoming more common within the last few thousand years.

Starscream placed a servo on his chest, his thumb parting just enough to see the shiny new insignia. It felt weird. He was now an Autobot. Not just a self-proclaimed pretend-to-be Autobot living in asylum with the actual Autobots. No, with this insignia, he truly was no longer a Decepticon.

It was something Starscream had never thought would ever happen in his life. He had had the feeling he wouldn't be a Decepticon forever, of course, but he had always thought it would either be because he would become a Neutral again, or because Megatron would finally terminate him for good. To become an Autobot... it felt so surreal.

Starscream took his gaze away from his insignia and looked behind him, at his wings. Before Ratchet had started on his insignia, he had taken the liberty of repairing the Seeker's damages first. Afterwards he had started installing a few things in his processor, hereamong connecting his energy signal and comm-link with the base, so they could track him like they could the other Autobots, as well as being able to communicate with him, and he them, without having to rely on another Autobot being with him. Now that the Seeker was healed and an Autobot (Starscream couldn't stop repeating the word in his head or through mumbling), Ratchet turned away from him to check on Bulkhead, who probably needed his aid more than Starscream did.

Starscream's gaze went from his wings to his servos, removing one from his chest to better look at them. He was free. He was free to go outside and fly. That was the reward for joining the Autobots. That, too, felt pretty surreal.

A shuffling sounded from the physical exit of the command center, and Starscream looked up, as did the other Autobots. From the tunnel, Wheeljack and Miko entered the base, the former limping rather dramatically while clutching his arm, the latter slumping with a depressed expression. As the two entered the base, Arcee knelt down in front of Miko.

"Miko, you okay?" Arcee asked concerned, her concern shared by the other Autobots.

"She's fine," Wheeljack replied instead of Miko. "Kid's a pro."

"I wasn't talking to you," Arcee snapped at the Wrecker.

Miko's gaze went from Arcee to Starscream by the medbay, who now rose to his pedes, sporting a shiny new Autobot insignia on his chest. Wheeljack caught the sight of Starscream's insignia as well, and his smile turned into a frown, but he didn't comment on it. Neither did Miko, and as she could see Starscream was okay, she turned her attention to Bulkhead on the other table instead.

"How is he?" Miko asked concerned.

"Not good," Bumblebee buzzed in a sad tone and gazed at the floor.

"Bulkhead will survive," Ratchet replied quietly and similarly gazed at the floor in a depressed manner. "He may never be fully functional again."

Miko seemed relieved that Bulkhead would live, but knowing he may not fully recover kept her depressed mood. She ran over to Bulkhead's table in the ICU, his vital signs stable.

"Miko," Ratchet called, "I don't think it's wise for you-"

He was stopped by Optimus, who held out a servo in front of the doctor, and shook his head, silently telling Ratchet to let her be.