Chapter 14: Hurt

Optimus knew something was wrong when he called Raf to request a GroundBridge back to base. He knew from the tone of his voice as he responded to the request. But he had not expected the sight that met him and Starscream as they came out on the other side of the portal.

On an operating table by the medbay, Bulkhead lay with a lot of cables attached to him. Ratchet scurried around, trying desperately to get the Wrecker stabilized.

"What happened?" Optimus asked concerned, looking around at the other Autobots and humans for answers. All had the same anxious and fearful expressions. Miko so more than the others, understandably, as it was her partner laying hurt on the table. She was sitting with her back against the railings on the upper floor, facing away from Bulkhead. She didn't want to see him this way, but at the same time she didn't want to leave his side.

"He was exposed to Tox-En," Arcee explained, "and then he was attacked by an Insecticon called Hardshell."

"An Insecticon?" Starscream remarked with dread. "That must have been ugly."

"You didn't see how he was like when we came back," Arcee said. "It was horrifying. Especially to Miko."

"Yeah, when we came back, Ratchet was literally trying to shock him back to life," Bumblebee bleeped, remembering the horrible scene that met their return.

As Agent Fowler took a call, Starscream looked from side to side and spotted a table that had something lying on it, seemingly a relic. He went over to it.

"So, it seems we aren't the only ones who were successful in retrieving a relic..." He trailed off and paused as he put down the Apex Armor next to the other relic, which he recognized as a Phase Shifter.

As he put down the relic, his gaze fell onto his servos. His spark skipped a beat. There were no stasis cuffs on his wrists. Not even the ones attached by an energy string. Both sets of stasis cuffs had been torn off by the Apex Armor!

Starscream turned and looked at the other Autobots. It didn't seem like they had heard what he had just said. They were all focused on Bulkhead and his dire situation. None of them knew that the Seeker was right now free and unrestrained - free to escape if he felt like it.

Starscream didn't move. He didn't speak. He just looked from the Autobots to his wrists and back, wondering how long it would take them to realize he wasn't bound any longer. He wondered if he should even wait for them to find out. He looked around, trying to think of a way to get out.

"Yes, sir," Agent Fowler said, ending his phone call. "Turns out highlights of your Big Apple adventure got caught on security tape. The pentagon needs me to run interference with the mayor." The human looked intently at the wounded Bulkhead, still being examined thoroughly by Ratchet. "I tried to stall, but..."

"Go where you are needed, Agent Fowler," Optimus said calmly. "There is nothing more you can do for Bulkhead at this time."

Agent Fowler turned to leave. "Keep me posted, Prime." He went over to the elevator, catching Starscream's attention. "I mean it."

The man went into the elevator, which closed and took him up, probably to the top of the cliff the base was situated on. The action got Starscream thinking.

Of course, the Seeker thought intently. The elevator. I can access it by myself, take me to the top outside. I can leave without anyone noticing.

"Wheeljack's on his way," Arcee informed after Agent Fowler left.

This caught the attention of both Starscream and Miko, the latter standing up and staring at the bots in disbelief.