Chapter 13: Triangulation

The Autobots spent the next ten minutes deciding what to do with the four locations of the Iacon relics.

"If we are to have any hope of recovering the Iacon relics before the Decepticons do," Optimus began, "we must divide our resources."

"But Optimus," Ratchet protested, "when it comes to numbers, we are already at a grave disadvantage."

"Under the circumstances, swiftness of action is paramount," Optimus defended. "This is one race that we absolutely cannot afford to lose."

As they began discussing which Autobots should go where, Ratchet found something strange on the radar.

"Here's a twist," the medic informed. "It would appear that the Decepticons have retreated from Manhatten."

"They just...up and left?" Arcee replied surprised.

"It is more likely that Megatron has already set course for the second set of coordinates," Optimus implied, "having dispatched a unit to this relic's underground location."

"Without busting up a city block to get to it?" Arcee remarked with surprise.

"They used subway tunnels," Jack explained from the railings, gaining the Autobots' attention. Starscream turned to look at the boy. "New York has a whole network of them running beneath the city."

Optimus thought for a moment. "Since the human population no longer seems to be directly threatened, maintaining our disguise will be necessary. Arcee, Bumblebee," he added and looked at the Scout and the femmebot, "you are the best choices to navigate through such a densely populated area."

"Optimus," Jack said to gain the big bot's attention, "New York has more than eight million people. The odds of being spotted by at least one of them are pretty high, even if they are headed underground."

"Where are you going with this?" Arcee asked, having a feeling of what the boy was suggesting.

"You're gonna need a face-man," Jack replied with a smile.

Nobody spoke for a moment, just stared at him, apparently not sure what he was talking about.

"Someone who can speak for them on their behalf," Jack explained. "A human who can run interference if their cover gets blown."

"Well," Miko went in, "I've actually been in subway stations, I grew up in a major metropolis, unlike mister 'I've-never-been-outside-Jasper-Nevada'." She shrugged in apparent offense, despite it being her insulting him.

"I have been to Cybertron," Jack pointed out to her, apparently not able to read the girl's thoughts.

"Cybertron doesn't have subways!" Miko replied, still offended, then paused and turned to the bots. "...does it?"

"It used to, anyway," Starscream replied. "Not like anyone really needed it, though, since everyone has their own vehicle modes. Like a jet, much more effective than a simple train-"

"Agent Fowler's field experience makes him our best candidate," Optimus interrupted and looked to Agent Fowler, laid onto a human-sized operating table turned into a bed, covered by a blanket. The man was still recovering from the shock he received a couple of hours earlier that day.

"Baaaananafish!" Agent Fowler exclaimed from the bed, then lost consciousness again. The man was still delusional.

"If he weren't still recovering from his encounter with the Decepticon warship," Ratchet pointed out.

"Which we survived," Miko said and pointed to herself, "without incident?!"

Optimus gazed from Agent Fowler to Ratchet to Jack and Miko, contemplating for a moment.