6

It made sense that my unconscious mind had brought me back to the priory. Stephen and Emily were the only people left who could help me free from the influence of my life-force.

They were human.

I knew this because I couldn't see their magic. The ability to see a witch's life-force was the only part of my power that I trusted. Hell, it was the only part that I didn't fear.

An added bonus was that their wages were paid for the next two months, and even if that weren't the case. These guys owed me. The five years of spying and manipulation hung heavy between the three of us.

Honestly, I really appreciated Emily's help. That girl was really good with a gun. And a sword. And her fists.

And I really did need the help.

Stephen was another matter. Not enough time had passed for that pain to fade. Nowhere near.

But he had something I needed.

Information.

"We've made some progress," Stephen said, obviously not wanting to dwell on his weird obsession with my bed-linen. "Why don't we sit and I can fill you in?"

When I sank into my favourite armchair, I couldn't help but sigh. Stephen smiled and sat opposite me, slipping on his sexy reading glasses. I was suddenly really glad of the low coffee table that separated us.

"We think we've found some references to Jonathan Device's family."

"The Device family? Hazel let you look at the records?"

"No, covens don't share. Ever." Frustration rankled in his curt tone. "And Device and its derivatives are common names in the North. But we went back to the manuscript and took it from there. We think Jonathan is the descendant of a girl who featured prominently in the Pendle Witch Trials."

"No shit," I muttered under my breath. I knew exactly who that girl was.

If Stephen noticed my interruption, he didn't let on. "We focused on digitised records from the British Library, so that we could stay close while the assignment was on going," Stephen's cheeks went an uncomfortable shade of crimson. He cleared his throat before continuing. "The natural starting place was the Pendle Witch Trials, there was very little reliable information concerning the accused before their executions. We know that Alice Gray took care that she couldn't be traced."

Stephen looked over to make sure I was following his logic. A shiver ran through me at the mention of the executions of those poor people. His eyes softened, hand gravitating to mine braced on my knee. A shake of my head made it drop to the table, he looked back down to his notes, his blush deepening.

"Next we looked at the accusers. A young child, Jennet Device, was the main witness for the prosecution against the Pendle Witches."

"Wait, how young are we talking?" I asked.

"They set a precedent with Jennet. She was nine, and she testified against the entire Pendle coven, her own mother and siblings included."

Stephen looked disgusted by the child's involvement in the destruction of the coven. He was convinced Roger Nowell, the Justice of the Peace who led the witch hunt, had coached her.

He was wrong.

Jennet had visited my dreams. I'd seethed with her at the petty injustices that littered her existence. Jennet was illegitimate and her family never let her forget it. She was immature but I'd always assumed that was her character, not her age. How could a child of nine be considered a reliable witness?

Worse still, I'd revelled in her victory when her mother and siblings were strung up. A bad taste caught in the back of my throat when I realised I'd shared those feelings with a child.

For weeks I'd tried to convince myself that those emotions were just part of the dream, that I couldn't share in that kind of base cruelty. But it was difficult to refute the connection between us when it was being spelled out so plainly for me.

"What happened to Jennet?" I asked, even though the last thing I wanted was proof that the unnatural girl was who I suspected her to be.

"Jennet Device was herself accused of witchcraft and imprisoned. She was more fortunate than the Pendle Witches. At Jennet's trial the judge refused to pass the death sentence. We can't find a record of her death in Lancaster Gaol, where she was held during her trial, but that doesn't mean that she didn't perish there."

"Stephen, you have to tell me what you suspect. If Jennet had died in the gaol, it wouldn't be worth telling me the story, right?"

Stephen looked at me. I could see the internal debate playing out on his face.

"Full disclosure, as we discussed, Stephen," a tired voice half sighed from the doorway.

Dressed in her usual uniform of skinny jeans and black leather jacket, Emily's pale blonde hair was uncharacteristically messy, held on top of her head in an elastic band. She carried a messenger bag that was so full of books it weighed her down at one side.

That was a lot of books. I knew that because Emily was strong, and disciplined, and usually had great posture.

"We think that Jennet Device is your ancestor."

Oh dear, the history of the Pendle Witches is catching up with Alice. Again!
If you're enjoying the story, don't forget to vote ⭐️!