Chapter 14- Rewind

Start from the beginning

“Was the screaming really necessary Lyla?” I asked as she sat down with her own lunch and gave me a slight grin.

“Well you didn’t answer the first three times I said it,”

I flinched slightly, knowing that me pretending to be someone else, wasn’t exactly going that smoothly considering I couldn’t even respond to my “name.” People would be calling me multiple times before the sudden realization of “oh that’s my name” hit me. Thankfully everyone just assumed I was ignoring them, and I would rather be known as rude then as Aurora Carter.

“So,” Lyla continued. “There’s a fireworks festival, kind of a huge thing here, late next month, you want to come with me and Matt?”

“Matt and I,” I corrected her and she gave me a slight glare that seemed to have more malice in it than was necessary.

“Well do you?” She prodded.

Lyla was always trying to get me to go out and do some type of event with her and her friend Matt. I don’t know why it was always those two since she was a very friendly person yet I never see her hanging out with anyone besides him, not even the other coworkers. Her blunt manner sometimes offended me, but one gets used to it. But the constant asking if I wanted to do something was being to wear me thin. My fear kept me from leaving the places I know, but I knew it was just going to look odder and odder the more secluded I kept myself. I was still young, I should be going out and doing something fun.

“I don’t know,” I replied instead and I saw her face fall a bit.

“Come on Marge, you never do anything fun,” She complained. “You’ll love it, I hear it’s just like a 4th of July in America.”

Lyla was giving me the puppy eyes and pouting slightly to try and sway me and with it being over a month away, I figured maybe there was an excuse I could come up with later. If not, what really could go wrong at going to such a public setting to see fireworks?

“Ok,”

She cheered slightly and talked animatedly about it for the rest of our lunch before we went to finish up our shift. Even then she still yammered on about it, making it a little hard to concentrate on what the customers ordered.

By the time the sun finally fell my feet were begging for me to sit down, but there were still a few people sitting at the tables. They all had someone to sit by, with the exception of one woman who sat by herself and was draped in a large jacket. She was hunched over with her hair acting as a curtain making it practically impossible to identify, but she was quiet and easy so I had no problems with her.

I went over with the coffee pot and refilled her drink that she pushed to the top right corner meaning she wanted it refilled. When I went over she seemed to curl into herself more to try and hide herself and I felt like I could relate to the feeling.

“Anything else?” I try and ask brightly but the exhaustion was noticeable in my voice.