Chapter 4- Filling in the Blanks

Chapter 5

Date: February 21st

Time: 1:08 a.m.

Location: Main room, Guardians base

Heaving open the door I entered the room to see two sides clearly divided which were still yelling at each other. The new people, which I didn’t recall ever meeting, looked like they jumped straight from the army to here. Half of them were still in their military uniforms while the other half were dressed completely in black. Judging from the screaming I could only assume that the people in black were trying to break in. However, since we were kind of a big organization I never thought we resulted to bickering with our intruders.

“Wait for a moment,” Fran stopped me before I could play peacemaker.

Biting the inside of my cheek I held in any retorts I had and kept towards the back to see how the others would handle it. For once Matt looked to be the one taking charge of everything, which was a shock seeing as in all the time that I’ve known him he wasn’t really much for calming down large crowds of strangers.

“That’s enough!” Matt barked out and the room finally quieted down as they looked towards him. “You need to leave, now.”

Ok, confusing. So they couldn’t have attempted to break in seeing as we never just let those people go. However, they obviously didn’t have free access in and out of the building since they were met with such hate. They also couldn’t have set up a meeting because it was one a.m. in the morning and it would be ridiculous to discuss any terms then.

“No,” A woman with a hard pressed face stepped forward, clearly the leader of her group and wearing sleuthing clothing. “Not until we get what we came for.”

“The answer is no,” Matts voice was cold and even though his back was to me I knew he was glaring at her. “How can you even ask a question like that?”

“Because unlike you we don’t have an army,” The woman stressed and I noted anger leaking into her voice. “We need every advantage we can get.”

“Tough,” Matt replied and I saw the woman pat something around her waist and I panicked moving forward only to be stopped by Fran again.

Glaring at her I tried moving forward again and she gripped my arm tighter causing some pain. I could’ve broken out of her grip but the message she was trying to get across was clear. I wasn’t supposed to get in the way even though that’s what I’ve been doing for the past few years.

“If you would at least just give us the blueprints,” The woman tried to reason or at least persuade but Matt and the other Guardians didn’t seem to buy into it.

“No,”

“You piece of shit!” A man actually in a military uniform shouted. “You can’t just expect us to face them without any help.”

“Then don’t go after them,” This time it was Maria who spoke up and I wondered how I missed her red hair in the crowd. “Hide.”

“We aren’t cowards,” The main woman from their side again. “The Reapers are getting stronger and you are getting nowhere with them, if you would just let us,”

“What?” Kyle broke in. “Abuse something that isn’t yours? You know it’s locked up for a reason.”

“The door can always be unlocked,”

And just like that the screaming matches began again. It was a wonder that everyone in this room was an adult and knew how to fight, to sleuth, to kill, to basically be a criminal. We were all capable and yet they were all squabbling like children.