Chapter 5- Everyone's Acting Strange

Chapter 5

Date: February 27th

Location: Guardians Base

Time: 10: 28 a.m.

Duck, step right, half step back, lean to the left, uppercut, block, block, for the love of god don’t get hit in the face again. Spin around, grab arm, use opponent’s weight and force them over your shoulder, fall correctly. Get up, block left, block right, block front, side swipe, rabbit punch, duck.

My lungs burned in a good way as Kyle circled me looking a little out of breath but I hardly had time to smirk at his weariness when he faked left and punched me in the stomach. Thankfully half of my training how to fight, whether it was willingly learned or not, was how to take a punch and handle the pain.

Now that all of the pretenses and lies were out of the way I wasn’t treated like glass anymore but still carefully watched over, which I could deal with. I went back to fighting and was more than thrilled to learn that my training with John, Valentin and even Ian hadn’t been all for nothing. My brain remembered the moves and my muscles adjusted easily after my few month hiatus. While I was almost never the one in a hand to hand combat it was really nice to know that I could still kick a little ass if necessary.

Kyle swung high and I ducked and used my leg to sweep his out from underneath him. He crumpled to the ground and I went to put my foot to his throat, a sign that indicated I would win. He grabbed my ankle and threw me to the ground and I landed on my back.

I don’t know how it happened but soon I was back in the warehouse and felt the stinging pain of the bullet ripping through my flesh as I fell to the ground. My limbs were cold and my friends were screaming out in terror and I was in so much pain. I lay on the ground and could see the blood pool around my chest and I couldn’t breathe right. I couldn’t be dying again.

I heard footsteps and I looked up hoping to see my friends coming to save me but saw Levi standing over me with a sadistic grin plastered across his face with a gun in his hand. I knew I had training, I knew I could get away, but all I did was scream.

“Aura,” I blinked a couple of times and Levi was gone and Kyle was crouching above me, worry in his eyes. “You alright?”

I looked around to find myself in the training room at the Guardians. Most everyone was milling around, as if nothing bad had happened, and maybe nothing did happen, at least not to them. My chest wasn’t burning as badly and I rubbed my hand over the wound glad that it didn’t come away with a warm stickiness.

What happened?

“Yeah,” I shook my head as if to clear the thoughts away. “I don’t know, I must have been out of it.”

But Kyle didn’t look convinced, although we hadn’t known each other long he had been a good friend. After his help with saving Iris from Ian and the few unconventional tasks that criminals have to do, like faking my death and locking me in a coffin, I knew he could pull through. Then again I thought I could trust Valentin and look how that turned out.

I shook away the condescending voice and tried to convince myself that Valentin had nothing to do with me getting shot. At least me getting shot by Levi, maybe. Everyone knows that Valentin had made more attempts on my life than anyone else from activating my list, to shooting me various times, to almost slitting my throat the first time I thought we met, to many other things I’d like to ignore.

Because they’re not important, a voice within me said. Valentin wasn’t like that.

“Should see a therapist,” I snapped out of my internal rambling to hear Kyle say that.