Chapter 8- Unlikely Ally

Dedicated to ChristineDana for making me this awesome banner!!!

For those of you who don’t remember Michael was introduced in the first book as M.L.A, the VP of Lockstar. He was one of the main villains in the second book before he willingly got arrested so he wasn’t murdered by the real M.L.A, aka Valentin, who was angry at Michael for exposing Lockstar to the world. In the third book Aura broke him out of jail to keep Valentin away from her and allow her and her friends time to flee. She has not seen him since.

Chapter 8

Date: Unknown

Location: Somewhere in Colorado

Time: Night

I sat on the car turning the blade over and over in my hands looking at the initials of his fake name, the one I was so used to hearing that came along with fear and panic. Then flip, it’s the initials of the man I was in love with and that hurt more than a blade being shoved into my chest.

How could he do this? How could he lie to me?

Valentin was M.L.A, he had been lying this whole time and I wasn’t smart enough to connect the dots. I wasn’t smart enough to recognize what had been staring me straight in the face.

“Let me go!” I looked up from the blade and saw two of my men, well they weren’t really my men just guys from the Lucky Criminal organization that wanted to help me out.

The cars headlights illuminated them as they brought the struggling prisoner forward and I almost laughed at the cliché of him having a bag over his head. I felt like I should be reading lines from a movie, I already had the scenery and the men to back me up. Resting the blade on the hood of the car I nodded towards one of the men and they ripped off the bag.

Michael looked around wildly before his gaze landed on me and his eyes narrowed. He didn’t look cocky or comfortable like he had in his cell, he looked nervous. As odd as it may seem that was his territory and now we were in mine, even if mine happened to be an abandoned street in the middle of nowhere.

“Carter,” Michael started out pleasantly enough. “How can I help you?”

I’m sure he was confused as to why the hell I broke him out, why I would break him out of all people, but in the end he was the only person I knew I could trust to handle this situation delicately. Plus if he died, I wouldn’t be mourning over his loss.

Not saying a word I picked up the blade and his eyes widened a fraction of an inch and I knew I wouldn’t need to say anything. He knew what this blade was, he replicated it himself when he pretended to be M.L.A. In a few short seconds he was completely caught up with what happened.

“So you know?” He merely questioned.

“Leave,” I said to the two who had brought him here. They had done their job, and the information that was about to be revealed next wasn’t something that they needed to hear.

Luckily the men didn’t seem to question me, as most were prone to do, and left with only giving Michael another stare and handing me the keys to his cuffs. Once they were out of sight Michael walked over and sat on the hood of the car next to me. I was surprised I didn’t have the overwhelming urge to stab him with Valentin’s knife after what he had done.

“Sucks doesn’t it?” He asked getting comfortable and making the car jostle with his movements. “Why can’t the truth ever be pleasant?”

“I didn’t break you out of jail for small talk,” I said in a clipped tone, not in the mood for whatever pleasantries he wanted to exchange.