2. An unsettling start

HANNAH:

Why was Heather taking so long? I wondered.

Probably she was just searching for her dress? Yeah, that must be the case.

Heather was always like that; if she couldn't find the right thing at the right time, she would rummage through every single stuff just for that one' exquisite' article.

"Finally the diva has arrived" I mocked, seeing Heather coming down.

"Yeah" she mumbled. There was something wrong. Heather never gave such plain replies.

"Is everything alright, Heath?" I questioned, looking at her dropped face.

She mumbled a "Yeah" again. That's it. No excitement, no happiness.

"Hurry Hannah" Someone shouted from the truck.

"Coming" I replied, and holding Heather's hand walked out.

We all sat together, laughing and mimicking our professors. All.....except for one person, Heather.

I observed her once or twice during the whole journey, quietly staring out, gazing at the vast covers of land converted into lush green farms. But, honestly, I was so busy gossiping with our other friends that I did not pay much heed.

Suddenly our truck came to a crashing halt. "Dude, you had to break just a few kilometres before? C'mon buddy, atleast take us to Ben's" Rile spoke to the steering, vexed.

"Guys, I will quickly go and fix this shit."

"Fast, Rile, we're already late." I replied, while Geniah got down to search nearby for a mechanic.

"Heath, imagine us leaving Ben out altogether? Anyways I don't like that stupid fell...." I stopped noticing Heather's pale face.

"Wha..." I turned my head to look at the direction she was staring at. There was nothing except for an old cottage. Why on earth was she viewing that cottage as though she had seen a ghost?

"Are you okay?" I tapped on her shoulders. She angled her face and holding my hands tightly muttered, "You know what will happen next? Geniah will find a mechanic in this deserted area."

Before I could say something, Geniah came back with...a mechanic?

"Guys, I found him crossing that street and asked for help. Surprisingly, he owns a garage just near to the city!"

"Dude, thanks for popping our way, there is some serious problem in here. Hop on, and see for yourself." Rile showed him the damage, while Heather looked at me.

"Ah Heath, you guessed absolutely right. Upto forecasting future or what, nowadays?" I winked, cracking a presumably bad joke, waiting for Heather's master-class sarcastic response. She just opened her mouth, gaping at me, as if she wanted to tell me something but was unable to decide whether she should or...Not?

Our vehicle was finally ready to be driven again. All of us resumed our immature 18-yearish talk, including me.

We soon reached Ben's house.

"Keeth, go and ask Ben to come fast" Rile spoke, parking the truck in his backyard.

" Or el...else, your fam..ily will be lef..left a...al..one" Heather closed her eyes and whispered.

Huh? What was that? I shrugged. Heather was behaving so weird today.

Keeth came out with Ben came out at an astonishingly fast rate. The very sight of Ben made me want to throw up. Bright yellow shirt, dark green pants, and red boots? Seriously why was this dim-witted jerk even got an invite?

Ben sat with Keeth in the front, and all of us continued with our idiotic banter.

"What the.." I cursed, as my phone fell somewhere in-between the covers. I was about to show Geniah a picture man!

I sighed, bending my right hand to pull it back up. When my eyes abruptly paused at something. There was a signboard stating, "Slow down, or else your family will be left alone" as we were about to approach a steep turn.

Wait, isn't that what Heather just murmured in her sleep?