Chapter 3: Red

I'm so quiet I felt as though I may have lost my voice or switched into my father, the way he's always quiet and thinking. I felt my throat being dry so I pour myself a small glass of water taking a few sips, it doesn't help. I just feel lost like all those treatments, tests, doctor appointments was just a waste of time. I made the decision that I wouldn't be taking anymore tests and no chemo. I can't go through all that again. 
"Honey?" mum frowns slowly stepping over to me.
I know she wants to wrap her arms around me but I would only pull away from her especially since all she's been doing is crying as though she's the one suffering from the new information.
"Anna, your mother can stay here instead," dad suggests. My parents were off on a long weekend to visit some old friends and spend time together. I don't want to be selfish and ruin it. I don't want to be that type of daughter.
I force a smile, "I'll be okay dad. Honestly, plus Jenny and Marcus are gonna stay over with movies and popcorn."
Mum smiles wiping her tears and blowing her puffy nose with a used tissue crumbed up in her trembling hand. "Your father and I will be home soon and we'll sort this. We're not going to lose you too."
"Hazel," dad said.
Mum looks at him with a frown, eyes glossing over all over again. She hiccups facing me again trying to smile for me yet failing as those tears pour down her cheeks until dad comes over burying her head into his chest. He grabs my jaw giving me a light squeeze. "Your brother will be here soon. I've told him to look after you."

Soon they were gone with their suitcases packed and their long looks of worry. I lend against the kitchen worktop, the glass of water still in my hand and my thoughts drift. Cancer. Even the word scares me. I had told my friends the first time, I remembered Jenny had been crying for days and hugging me and clinging to me. I remembered Marcus's empty words and he just ran off. The chemo was working, I was getting better so I thought. I can't bring myself to tell them I may not be joining them at graduation.
I finish the glass of water placing the glass in the sink just as I heard the front door. "I'm home," Chris's voice echoes and I smile, I've missed him so much. I ran out of the kitchen and into the arms of my brother. He wraps his strong arms around me picking me up and settling me down a few seconds after. "I've missed you kid," he said pulling back and looking at me, he then moves aside, "look what I found on the way home."
Marcus and Jenny were here as well. I felt as thought I wanted to cry knowing how much I'm gonna hurt them. Marcus spoke. "Just saw your old man. He gives me the creeps." Jenny laughs, she gazes over at my brother with that look and I laugh, my thoughts can stay in a box for the time being. I want to enjoy my life while I can.

Jenny and I were in my room putting on dress after dress, having a giggle and munching on some sweets, she had picked up on the way here. I've also put some music on to get the party started. "Wait there a moment," I quickly left my room, hopping into my parents' master room and grabbing the black dress. I came back, "Put this one on."
Jenny raises her eyebrow, "Isn't that your mums?"
"I'm sure she won't mind." I lied. My mum doesn't like when I'm always going into her closet, her jewellery boxes but she's always gets the best branded items and clothing. Dad always like spoiling her.
A few minutes later, Jenny had the dress on and stares unsure at herself, at the tall mirror. I grinned. The dress looks stunning on her and I couldn't wait for Marcus to see. The black dress hung to her curves, long lacy sleeves, it shows a bit of cleavage and the hem stops above the knees so it's very classy and yet, very sexy.
"I don't know. It's too sexy," she hums turning to her side.
"That's the point. Red isn't for the innocent, Jenny," I winked.
She frowns. "I hate it when you smirk, it reminds me of Marcus."
I laugh rolling my eyes. I grab a dark purple dress, a sexy one as well but with straps. Jenny sits in front of the desk mirror tying her hair into a bun with two curls loosen. She rubs a little coconut on her wrists and behind her ears. Just staring at her was like watching a young elegant woman and I'm often jealous at how she carries herself as a woman, and how beauty would come to her so natural. I had braces, spots, the normal teenager life crisis but she seem to have skipped all of that.
"Jenny honestly you look amazing," I toss her some black heels.
She hums still having that unsure expression. Once we were done and looking sexy. We grab our our purses and met the lads downstairs where they were having a bottle of beer and speaking about Marcus's game the next week.
I coughed and the guys looks our way. Marcus instantly looks over at Jenny, and his eyes flash a lusting desire as a low growl left his lips. He was staring at her as though he couldn't wait to claim her that's what it seems like and I smile to myself as my handy work is slowly going perfect.

Marcus hadn't taken those dark eyes away from Jenny from the moment he gives Chris the rest of his bottle of beer, to the moment he comes over giving her a odd growl that I've not heard before, it was a different growl. He doesn't look away even when we get into the cab towards Red. We eventually made it to the club where it looks like a huge classy Victorian house. There were tall windows with colours flashing against it and you could see shadows of women and men dancing. I notice the enormous line of girls in short dresses shivering and men just as excited.
"Follow close behind," Chris said after he pays the cab driver.
Chris lends the way across the road and around the back of the club. I glance back noticing Marcus has entwine his hand with Jenny's and a blush spreads across her cheeks. 
We were down the alleyway of the club, Chris knocks once and it opens. A man not as large or bold as the bouncer I caught my eye on. He was different, the kind of feeling when my father would stare at anyone he wasn't sure of. He was tall, fit and wearing black, he looks at Chris and doesn't bother with any of us.
Chris didn't need to say anything at all as the man let us through. Once we were inside and into the main room I let out a breath. 
"First round is on me then Anna, you're on your own. I've got stuff to take care off," he turns looking at Marcus, "you better take care of my sister."
Chris got me and Jenny a vodka and coke, Marcus a beer then he wandered through the sea of dancing bodies. I turn to my friends then grin, "Look at how amazing this place is!"
Marcus laughs nodding and Jenny wanders her wild eyes around. Everyone was dancing, drinking and having a grand of a time. I pull Jenny into the waves of dancers and I moved to the music.

"I feel hot," Jenny said aloud for me to hear.
"Let's get some shots!" We push our way to the tall oak bar where I felt as though I was sinking in sand and the bar was towering over me. I tiptoed up looking left and right at all the men and women lending or sitting against the bar chatting. 
"Alright love, what can I get you?" I'm startled by a good looking man.
"I er hmm," I can't seem to speak.
"We'll have a round of shots please, different ones," Jenny smiled then when the bartender went to pour our shots. Jenny sighs, "Anna, he's probably in his twenties. He'll be in trouble if he found out your real age."
I pout, "I can look Jenny."
The bartender comes back with a tray of ten shots all different colours and different favours. It's like a magical rainbow and I peer up as he runs his fingers through his blonde locks gazing his golden eyes over me. I instantly felt like a little girl giggling at her crush. He lends forward resting his arm on the wooden counter showing me his sleeve of coloured tattoos; thorns, moons, roses and patterns. "These are on the house for being gorgeous."
I still couldn't speak as I felt myself going red. I pick up the first, a sparkling blue. "That's a bubblegum favour." I let it wash down my throat trying to collect my thoughts at what to say. 'you could say thank you' my inner voice says.
I pick up the next, he tells me it's a apple favour. I soon found my voice, "Have one with me."
"Well I can't let a gorgeous babe like you drink alone."
I looked to my right to notice Jenny was gone. "Your friend is over there, I'll take you after my shift which will finish in twenty minutes then I'm all yours."
I end up saying my name. "I'm Anna."
His golden eyes glimmers. "Ricky."
"Ricky! Stop flirting and serve, we've got customers!" A girl with brightly pink short hair and her contact eyes were the colour of ruby. She wore a pair of jeans and a white blouse with a splash of red. "You just put yourself there and I won't be long," he lends over the bar, grabs my jaw and locks his raspberry favouring lips with mine. I'm too shock to kiss him back and he lingers his lips slowly away, a growl left his lips. "Soft."
Oh my God!! My first kiss taken by a bartender and I feel like doing a dance to celebrate but I must compose myself. I take a breather and pull myself onto a stool. I can at least do a little dance in my mind. I finish off the shots each one tasting delicious, there was one that tasted like nothing almost like water, like complete nothingness. Hmm I thought, I may have to ask if I was conned out of a shot.

"Hey," Ricky was now in front of me away from the bar. He lends in again kissing my lips and causing my mind to dance. "I thought you might like a cocktail," he gives me a tall glass, a colour of red liquid with ice cubes and a straw. I take a sip and hum, "It's raspberry. It's very nice."
He gives me a smirk. "Raspberry is actually a favourite of mine."
"I like it," I say hoping down from the stool.
He looks me up and down shaking his head. "Wow. You really are gorgeous."
I smile blushing. Then Marcus comes over not at all happy that I'm here instead of with him and Jenny, he looks at Ricky. "We're over there, come on as Jen's worried."
Ricky looks ahead, "You just worry about your kitten and I'll take care of her." He then takes my hand pulling me away from Marcus until I couldn't see him no more. I started to feel dizzy, awful and everything felt heavy.

Then I felt as though my whole body had shudder as though a wave of electric has wired my body and as I turn, I lock eyes with a pair of dark lustful eyes. "Mate," the boy from school growls.