Chapter 21

Jasper's hand was warmly pressed to the back of my waist while he greeted and talked to the guys he knew. He was nice, not at all like the dark and cranky guy Chrystal described.

He's been really down lately, since the girl he likes transfered to another school... I remembered her telling me.

I guess gorgeous guys can suffer for love, too.

"You are the most beautiful girl in this room tonight, Miss Jhones." He whispered to my ear, making my skin crawl and my face blush crimson red.

"Aren't they the sweetest things?" Vic sighed while the four of us moved to the dance floor. "Jace is really funny and kind. I see what the 'beating into shape' of Chrystal's payed off." She laughed. "And Jasper hasn't taken his eyes off of you since he first saw you"

"Oh, shut up, Vic. He's just being nice and polite."

"Polite, my ass! There's anything but politeness in those eyes for you."

"What are you girls talking about?" Jace asked, pulling Vic to his arms and starting to dance. "Us, I hope..."

"You can bet your handsome face we were, Hun" Vic answered. No remorse. No shame. No filter.

I just wanted to crawl into a hole and hide.

Jace's laugh light up the room."You are something else, Vic."

Vic and Jace went dancing around, leaving us to stare. They seemed to be hitting it off...

"So, how is it that a gorgeous girl like you doesn't have a date for this dance? Are all the guys in this side of town blind or stupid?"

I blushed for the thenth time this evening.

"I'm not the popular kind of girl. I like to go by unnoticed"

"Isabelle, there's no way someone who looks like you goes unnoticed." He said matter-of-factly. "There must be something wrong with the water here. In our School, you wouldn't last a day without getting hitted on." Jasper laughed.

And it was contagious. He had a lovely deep and throaty laugh. Really sexy. And I loved the way my name sounded in his voice. He didn't call me 'Belle', or pick up sugary nicknames. He called my full name like it was a prayer. It rolled out of his tongue like a velvety caress.

"I suppose I could transfer there" I responded, shaking the suggestive thought out of my head. We laughed again.

"Seriously, I can't believe no one has asked you out. Do you have a badass brother? Is your father the sheriff?" He guessed. I flinched at both options.

The man who got my mother pregnant and killed, was the furthest thing to a law man that's ever been.

"Nop. I have no other family than my grandmother and my next door neighbors." I smiled at their faces in my mind.

"Your neighbors? Are they guys? Maybe it's because of them you are out of radar..."

I laughed. He was one perceptive guy.

"Well, I can't deny that." I said, searching the room for them.

I spotted Dante talking to a beautiful girl in a yellow dress next to the drinks table.

"That's one of them." I pointed to the handsome devil.

"What? The Rossi kid?" He asked.

"Yeah... His name is Dante."

"You are neighbors with the Rossi?" He seemed amazed.

"Yes. You know them?"