10: Dru-less in Adelos

Dru wouldn’t have made me do this.

“So you’re also telling me that I can’t just snap my fingers and will my things to skip over this world and come to the next?” My hip jutted out to my far left, “That’s what you’re saying?”

David raked his bony pale fingers through his fiery red hair as he stood in front of my mirror. And for what reason? I haven’t the slightest idea, “That’s exactly what I’m saying….Rory how are you the daughter of one of the most powerful men in Adelos….and yet you seem to know absolutely nothing?

Instinctively my bread and butter teeth sank into my bottom lip in agitation, my eyes flashed over quickly and my hand pressed deeper into my waist, “Divorce. That’s what, oh and the fact that my parents live in two different realms, that could be it as well.”

David held his palms in an ‘I give up’ gesture, “No need to decapitate me Aurora. There’s no need, but may I ask why you always seem to be on the defense about everything?

“I’m not on the fuc—“ the swear never fully left my lips because I stopped and actually thought about what ginger boy was saying.

He had a point.

And he was right.

But my pride had a way of trickling through, “Whatever,” I shrugged, “let’s do this already.”

I moved around the room slowly searching for that darn spell book that Dru had forced on me a couple years before. Naturally I went for my book case cluttered with novels that I had yet to finish like Pretty Little Liars and that punk ass book Twilight, not to mention the twenty or so books I’d acquired by being in college.

Where the hell is it?

I couldn’t remember the last time when I had actually used the book much less rifled through it. My search became something of a manic dog hunt, I was like a blood hound sniffing for blood only in my case I was searching for something I genuinely needed. The lavender painted book case nearly toppled over by the force of my hands moving quickly; I pushed books to the side, spread two large posters I had crammed in apart and I swore possibly fifty times.

The insanity of my forgetfulness and my misplacedness was downright astounding.

Freaking awesome.

A dainty cough followed by a small “Ahem.” Captured my attention, still a bit heated I whirled around huffing and puffing when my eyes landed on a prized jewel.

“Looking for this?” Davids lips spread apart in a cute almost (pinch me if I’m overthinking this) flirty grin. He held up a black leather back book midway in the air.

My spell book!

Ignoring for a moment how weird that possibly flirty gesture had been I sidled over to his side and gently took the book from his hand with a thankful smile, “Where did you find it?”

Tap, tap. I followed the sound as well as his pointed glance towards my hardwood floor, his loafers created a slight tap dance as he tapped his foot backward to indicate that the book had been lost beneath my Queen sized bed.

“Oh……” humiliation pecked at me a bit, but I pushed it aside as I pressed my worn book to my chest. I pressed my nose against it and sniffed at the warm leather and thought of…..

I hadn’t seen Darius in a week, a week I’d spent completing all of my classes and contemplating life without him. It was a very bleak weak, the first day I spent crying in my closet where nobody could see me, that also happened to be the day that my mother decided to be a mom an actually checked up on me. I barred her out of my room with a spell that I remembered from Dru.