03

jisung listened to the thumps of chan rushing up the stairs.

by the time chan arrived, tears were spilling out of jisung's eyes as he pointed frantically to the dark corner that the boy had emerged from.

"t-there!" jisung mumbled between his tears.

chan searched the room, walking over to the corner. chan tilted his head in confusion for a moment. he felt around the corner.

"what? there's nothing here, sung,"

"no! b-but he- he-" jisung wiped his eyes as chan walked over to the bed with a concerned look on his face.

"sungie, are you okay? do you have a fever?" chan lifted his hand to rest against jisung's forehead, testing the heat, but he seemed to be at a normal temperature, "i think your mind is acting up again, sung. do you want me to stay until you fall asleep?"

"no, chan, i'm s-serious- he literally- there was- what-" jisung stumbled upon his words, unable to grasp reality, "he was right there!"

"ji, bud, i think you need to start getting more sleep,"

"chan i swear- he- there was a boy! he- he was right THERE!!"

"sung, go to sleep," chan rubbed his eyes, "there's no one here but me and you,"

"but chan!" jisung insisted.

"jisung, i'm serious. i think you need to get to sleep and just forget about it. there's nothing there, okay?"

jisung sighed. there was no point in arguing anymore because chan wouldn't believe him.

"fine. are you gonna go back home then?"

"yeah. i'm gonna head back, okay? get some sleep, alright?" chan leaned in and brushed away the leftover tears that were displayed on jisung's cheeks.

"yeah yeah..." jisung convinced himself to get out of the covers to at least walk chan to the door.

though he shivered as he walked to the door, he tried to ignore it as he walked chan down the stairs in silence.

"jisung, you go right back up and go to sleep, okay? nothing was there buddy,"

jisung wanted to apologize to chan for the absurd actions, because you know what? maybe he was going crazy after all. but no. he was sure there was definitely a person in his room talking to him. jisung shook his head as he waved bye to chan who climbed into his car and drove away. jisung crosses his arms as the cool wind licked at his skin, sending a chill down his spine, waiting until chan's car turned the corner out of sight to lock the front door and turn around. he stood with his back against the door because that way nothing could potentially sneak up behind him.

"hello?" he called out in such a way that lacked so much confidence he would've been highly embarrassed had he not been terrified for his life, "are you there? p-please show yourself..."

he waited.

silence.

jisung felt pathetic tears pricking at his eyes again.

"please, really...i-i just moved into here- i-i..." jisung trembled, unable to form a full sentence.

he waited again.

and waited.

still nothing.

"h-hello?" jisung tried once more.

yet only silence was there in response.

jisung slid down onto the ground, seeing in the dim light shining through the windows onto the clock in the main room that it was nearing two in the morning. he rubbed his eyes and hugged his knees, knowing very well that he'd be unable to fall asleep if he went back up to his room. but if he slept on the couch he'd feel much too vulnerable.

every once in a while jisung would hear some sort of small noise, like the clock ticking or a pipe settling, but it would scare him so badly every single time. he didn't hear any more of that voice though, and eventually, he fell asleep against the front door.