24 | Might be Missing

Start from the beginning

He kissed me, his upper body pressed against mine. He used one arm to shoulder his body weight from me, and his other hand trailed through my hair. 

Mine clutched the back of his neck, pulling him closer. I felt up his arm and touched the contours of his hard chest. I pressed myself up against the bed and let us get tangled in the bed sheets.

**

I got under the covers next to him and he lay back.

Our heads rested on the pillow, facing each other. I admired his chiseled features from this close.

"It's funny you think I don't mix well with nature," I said to him, "Because it brought us together."

Cabin life last summer was what made us connect in the first place. My inability to catch anything or pack appropriately or not get stuck in tree branches... led to many near-disastrous bonding opportunities. 

Not to mention my ability to attract mountain bears. 

And this weekend has been more of the same. I may not mix with nature, but nature has been good to me.

He smiled and I warmed at seeing the sparkle in his blue eyes. It wasn't from what I was saying, but more a reflection of the moonlight.

"I'll stick to what I once told you," he smirked, "Survival of the fittest would not be kind to you."

Before I could react, he reached over and pulled me closer towards him. He wanted me to know he was teasing. He plays a lot of sports, but I'm starting to think that teasing me is one of his favorite games.

"The lake house is beautiful," I told him, now wrapped in his arms, "Thank you for bringing me here."

He whispered into my ear, his hand stroking my hair. "Do you remember the night Alicia fell into the lake?"

He was bringing the memories to life. I remembered that night at summer camp, when I had been at the dance that Luke skipped. We both came running to rescue Alicia in the pouring rain.

We had swum to save Alicia and brought her back to shore. I remember how I'd watched him come out of the lake, water dripping off his chiseled body. It dripped down his torso, carving around the hard edges of his abs.

"I wanted to kiss you that night," he told me now.

"All that wasted time."

**

We came down the next morning to a breakfast of pancakes. I had crept back to the guest room twenty minutes earlier to shower, change clothes and pretend like I hadn't been sleeping in Luke's bed all night.

It was only a half lie. I hadn't been sleeping in Luke's bed.

When I came downstairs, Luke was there. He also pretended like he hadn't just kissed me twenty minutes ago.

"Morning Minnie," he came over and gave me a one arm hug. He kissed the top of my head.

I'm liking this pretend game.

"Did you sleep well last night?" I asked, mindful to keep the act up while Jake was listening in.

"You know, not really," Luke complained and stretched.

I poked his bare chest and he reacted with a laugh.

"Someone stole the bed sheets," he whispered, before turning around and going back to the kitchen.

I do remember waking up in a cocoon, wrapped in the duvet like a hot dog.

Do I have to change my sleeping position now that I'm in a relationship?