Trapped

Mark already felt his vision going even fuzzier. Like seeing through a mist while his brain tried to catch up with his heartbeat.

"You look different," the familiar voice said still behind him. The tone almost amused at the situation. "Was that so he'd love you more? Interesting."

Mark swallowed hard and darted his eyes left and then right. He needed to get someone's attention. Before Martin realized his plan.

"Relax," Martin hummed, and Mark felt the heat of a finger on the back of his neck. He flinched and that same amusement filled the air. Quiet and cool and dangerous. "I'm not going to ruin your date, honey. I got bigger plans for us. All three of us."

The heat of the touch pulled away, and Mark squeezed his eyes shut. Where was Jack? Could Mark make a run for the exit? What if Martin was able to catch him? He always was able to catch him. There used to a time that Mark loved being caught.

"Can't even turn around to face me?" Martin asked. "Why is that, Mark? Are you afraid of what looking at me can do to you?"

Mark felt his head turn just enough to make sense as him saying no. An older man cleared his throat as he adjusted in his seat. His eyes were glued to the screen as he tossed back another handful of popcorn.

Jack must have left Mark. It only made the most sense. Why would Jack be bothered with someone as damaged and broken as him anyway? Jack was smart and strong and handsome. He kisses felt like fire and ice and all the sensations that Mark never thought existed anymore.

"I miss you, honey...more than you'll ever know."

The pet name did something inside of Mark's chest. Like a prickle of pain that resonated and reverberated. Made the marrow of his bones twist into uncomfortable shapes. It felt like drowning on dry land.

"Just give me five minutes to talk to you. That's all I need."

A snap like a gunshot ripped through Mark's mind as he stood and moved towards the end of the theater seat row. The small grumbles of a person here or there as their foot or knee was banged was ignored by Mark. He needed to get out. He needed to breathe.

He blinked into the brightness of the main lobby and his feet began to pick up speed. He needed to find Jack, or someone to help. He didn't dare look back because Martin might just be right behind him. His smile soft and pleasant but his eyes told stories. Stories that Mark knew the beginning, middle and end to and no longer wanted to be a part of anymore.

"Mark? Where are yeh - "

Jack gasped as his hand was grabbed as he stood next to the restroom. Blue eyes wide as Mark pulled him along and asking what were probably very valid questions. Mark didn't hear anything but a roar of white noise and the vague echo of Martin's voice. The way it's slow and soft tone always fooled him to think that it would be better this next time. Then the next time,

Then the next.

With his right hand, Mark pushed through the entrance to the movie theater, and in his left hand, he clutched Jack's fingers as if it was a lifeline. Maybe it was in the grand scheme of things. The only glue that kept Mark together and Mark wanted that., He wanted to be held together by someone who loved him and cherished him and saw him as someone worth fighting for.

"Jesus Christ," Jack huffed as he and Mark finally reached their car. "What in the world was that all - "

Mark stared at Jack, who had gone even paler. The question he had been asking died as he looked at small note under the windshield of his car. The slight ripple of the win gave it an innocent flutter, but it didn't hide the darker words.

He will always belong to me.