Echoes

The pizza was placed on a paper plate and then in Mark's waiting hands.

The house was quiet and dark, except for the flickering light coming from the large television in the living room.

"Was thinkin' we could watch a comedy," Jack said, with a slight glance back towards Mark. "Yeh okay with that?"

Mark inclined his head, allowing himself to let a small chuckle escape.

"Sounds like you're just trying to get me to laugh more."

The smile was enough to show Mark that he had guessed correctly.

They both sat on the couch, with Jack giving Mark just enough space to breathe.

Neither the pizza or the movie were incredible. Just enough to keep the silence and their hunger at bay.

Every once in a while their eyes would meet.

"Yeh doin' all right?"

It felt good to be asked.

"Can...we stop the movie for a minute?"

With a pressed button the images on the screen froze. The image of a young woman as she laughed at a joke was reflected in Mark's eyeglasses.

"What is it?" Jack asked.

"...I want to talk....about him..."

The couch cushions moved along with Jack as he twisted his body around to face Mark properly.

The muscled hands reached towards the black framed of his glasses and slowly pulled them away from his face.

The laughing woman was gone.

In her place, the honey colored eyes stare into an ocean.

"He used to be so nice..." he began. "He cared about me. Said he loved me...and it was so easy to believe him..."

Jack didn't want to move. The idea of interrupting him made him feel sick.

"Didn't mean it the first time it happened. We were fighting. He threw my phone. Meant...to just throw it near me but...hit me instead."

Jack swallowed his rage just in time.

"He felt awful," Mark whispered. "I could always tell when...he really felt bad about..."

The sway of the memory of Martin is too clear in his mind.

His voice echoed in his ears. Harsh and bitter and cold.

"Mark? Yeh...do yeh want to keep talking about - "

He was already racing towards the bathroom before Jack could get out another word. His vision was blurred without his glasses but he just made it to the toilet in time.

He shouldn't have mentioned Martin. His body lurched as it desperately threw up everything inside of him.

So tired of hurting so much.

"Mark, open the door. Let me help."

Sweat was falling onto the rim of the toilet bowl as he doubled over and retched again.

So tired of hurting so much.

The knocking was getting louder.

"Let me help yeh. Please? I have water."

The doorknob turned after a muffled flush, and the Irishman pushed a cold bottle of water into the trembling hands.

"...I'm sorry..." Mark began. "I...thought that I was..."

Jack's fingers felt good as they ran through his hair. Mark could hear his heartbeat as he leaned his ear against Jack's chest as they sat on the bathroom floor together.

He took small sips of water as he waited for Jack to tell him that it was all going to be okay.

"Yeh take all the time yeh need," Jack muttered. "It was a shit movie anyway."

Mark chuckled into the slender chest. He breathed in and out as he tilted his head up to look at the man holding him.

"What if he...finds me?"

"Finds us," Jack corrected. "It's not just yeh anymore. Yeh have friends. If he finds us, then we stop him."

Jack helped him up and stood close by as he wiped away the sweat from his brow and slowly brushed his teeth. 

He felt cleaner. He felt better. 

The slender fingers were moving away from his hair and onto the back of his neck. Mark sighed at the way they were rubbing at his tense muscles.

Jack was so close.

Way too close.

"Mark...what are yeh..."

Their noses brushed together.

Jack's lips were so soft.

He didn't like that he fell for the Irishman...