Promises

Love isn't something that Mark ever took lightly. He had only told Martin that he loved him when he truly did.

Even though Martin hadn't said it back at first, Mark had understood. Love stormed over some people. With others it was a softer shower.

Jack loved him. Was in love with him.

Mark inhaled the confession. His heart squeezed so hard that Jack felt his pulse. The pale hand was still intertwined with his.

There were promises in the blue eyes that Mark believed.

Martin never touch him like this. Not unless there was something more for Mark to give him.

Back then Mark had been okay with all he gave. Okay with too many things that he just knew were not what he needed.

Bits and pieces of him broken away inside of sweaty bedsheets and half formed apologies. But this was different.

Jack was different.

Mark barely knew what was in front of him during their breakfast. He was too busy stealing glances up to the Irishman as he ate. His cheeks puffed out like a chipmunk and eyes shining in the morning sun.

A soft knock on the door had Jack getting up to greet Felix. His slender arms full of cups of coffee and pastries from the little bakery up the street.

"You look better," Felix commented as he handed Mark a large cup and a few creams and sugars. Then he placed his gaze onto Jack, and smiled. "And you're blushing. Do I want to know why?"

Jack cleared his throat, and then suddenly became very fascinated with his cup of coffee. But he couldn't keep the smile off of his face. It was obvious that he was happy. So incredibly happy that anyone I could tell that it was the best day of his life.

Mark ended up smiling too, because how could he not? It was like waking up after a long long coma, surrounded by friends and familt who missed you while you were asleep.

The three men didn't talk during breakfast. The only sounds heard with a sips of hot morning brew and bites of sweet treats. Jack couldn't help but stare as icing sat on the corner of Mark's mouth. Begging to be kissed away.

Eventually Felix got up and left. His sharp eyes still inquisitive as to what in the world was going on? It was obvious that something was different. Something lighter in the air between the two people who meant so much to him. His best friend and the shy and broken man he brought in from the cold.

Even now, Felix could remember how Mark looked on that first day keep seen him. Dark eyes bloodshot from either pain or tears. Or maybe both. As much as Felix wanted to ask, he never did. Everything seemed to raw at the surface of the skin to break such a subject into the open.

"You two behave yourselves," he shouted lightly as he headed out. The merest hint of a smile in his voice.

"No promises," Mark called back, and Jack giggles filled the kitchen as the front door closed with a snap.

"So," Jack said after a moment. "What would yeh like to do today? I don't have work until late this evening."

Mark shrugged his shoulders, and slid his hand over to the pale palm. Then placed it on top and gave a gentle squeeze.

"It's been forever since I've gone to a movie," Mark replied.

"Then that's exactly what we'll do. What would yeh like to see?"