Just Breathe

(Written by MattyWantsToBattle )

Bob's first words were, "What the fuck did he do to you?"

Mark glanced up hazily; swallow causing his Adam's Apple to bob.

Mark had never wanted to let anyone know what Martin had done to him. Never wanted anyone to see just how pathetic Mark had grown to be.

But he supposed it was to be expected.

If Mark was going to be that pathetic and weak, he deserved to be ruined and for people to know about it.

He deserved this humiliation for the type of person he grew up to be.

Mark looked away, wiping away the tears that started dripping down his cheeks.

Jack was dabbing a washcloth at the scratches Mark had caused on the sides of his face, pausing when he saw the tears before he cleared his throat.

"Mark, it's alright. Jus' breathe, ok?"

Mark hummed in the back of his throat in response, rubbing his leg before giving a shaky sigh.

"... h-hurt me."

Wade scowled as he stared at the floor, before looking up at Mark.

"He didn't let you see us, did he?"

Mark hummed again, affirming Wade's words.

"Get jealous... hurt me... made me do shit... f-fuck..."

Jack bit into his lip as he finished cleaning the scratches, putting the wash cloth down on the table.

"He won't touch ya ever again."

Mark glanced up, rushing a hand through scarlet hair before he nodded slowly in a way that conveyed his obvious lack of belief.

"... I promise..."

"Mhm."

----

It was all over the news.

Mark had been watching television, idly flipping through the channels as he curled up into the crook of the couch on Jack's day off when he noticed his picture.

"Mr. Goar says his boyfriend has gone missing. If you have any knowledge on where he is, please call the number at the bottom of the screen..."

Mark's hearing slowly started to shut off as panic constricted his lungs and made him shake.

"... Mark...?"

Mark gave a blood curdling scream, hands coming up to yank at his hair and sob.

"Hey...!"

Jack gripped his shoulders tightly before turning to the TV and scowling.

"Hey, hey, come on, calm, it's goin' ta be alright..."

Mark thrashed, causing Jack to jump back and curse when he tripped over the coffee table and slammed into the floor behind it.

"SHIT!"

Jack sat up, rubbing his head before cerulean eyes widened and he launched to grab Mark's wrists.

Mark was hurting himself again.

One of his hands was wrapped tightly around his arm, nails digging into his skin and blood speckling and filling the crescents he left.

The other was grasping the table tightly to brace himself as he shrieked and sobbed.

"Mark, Mark, please!"

Mark's chocolate eyes snapped to attention, Jack putting his hands in front of him to show he meant no harm.

Mark slowly unhooked his hand from around his arm, reaching up to rub his eye with his clean hand.

He looked down and cursed when he saw crimson filling his nails and dripping down his arm.

"Yer ok... Mark, jus' focus on me, alright?"

Mark swallowed, looking back before slowly shutting his eyes and mumbling a soft apology.

"It's alright..."

"His description is red faux hawk, square glasses, dark brown eyes, and tan skin."

The girl continued on, but Mark just bit into his lip and nodded slowly.

"I need to get rid of it."

"Huh...?"

Mark reached up to rush a hand through scarlet, frown stuck on his lips.

Realization flashed on Jack's face, before he looked away.

"... yeah... fuck, sorry..."

Mark hummed, before he placed a hand over his new self inflicted wounds.

"... you think we can do that soon...? I... Don't want..."

"Yeah."

Jack ended up calling Felix to buy some black hair dye for Mark.

Mark stared up at Jack with a bite to his lip.

"... ya alright? Here, let me clean your arm..."

Mark let Jack grab a warm wash cloth and start dabbing at the new wounds on his arms, wincing a bit when he felt the rag touch.

"Sorry... I wish ya wouldn't hurt yerself when ya get like that..."

Mark quickly snapped to look away, silent as he stared at a blank space to his side.

"I... Jus' want ya safe. Yer my friend."

Mark blinked in surprise, making a small noise of shock in the back of his throat.

"I mean, ya haven't been here all that long, but it's really... It's nice having ya around. Yer a great friend already. I just wish ya could be happy."

Mark twisted to look at Jack, who was focused on cleaning Mark's arm.

He stared for a long moment, just watching as his cerulean eyes narrowed to stare at Mark's arm, as his hands moved to wrap the crescents and dab Neosporin on them.

"... thank you."

"Hmm?"

Mark sighed, biting his lip harshly as he looked away. "I said thank you."

"Fer what?"

"Everything..."

Jack slowly sat up, patting Mark's newly bandaged arm before tugging at the hem of his shirt. "No need, Mark. I don't need you to thank me. I'm doing this cause I want ta."

Mark looked up, smiling softly at the Irishman.

Warmth spread in Mark's core, and honestly this time he relished in it.

It felt nice, as he sighed in relief and stood shakily. He wasn't sure what was wrong with him to make him still sick even now, but he realized if it meant he could stay with Jack, it was fine.

Hmm...

Mark wondered why he felt like that. Or really, he knew, but he didn't like the answer... He didn't like that he was falling for the Irishman...

Jack looked up as a knock on the door resounded, bouncing to answer.

Mark smiled softly as he heard Felix's voice, pulling his legs up onto the couch and crossing his legs.

"So, I got three shades, cause I wasn't sure what would be right." Felix said as soon as he came in.

Mark looked up and nodded, before he spoke.

"Thanks, Felix."

"Yeah man! Hey, if you ever need anything, I'm your man!"