Small Steps

Mark inhaled as he moved towards the car. Jack had the keys in his right hand and pressed the key unlock button with his thumb. 

His left arm swayed gently as they walked, and Mark watched closely. His chest felt a twist of longing that he needed to get rid of right now. 

Take things slowly echoed in his head. That he definitely was in love but he needed more time to deal with what Martin had done. There would be plenty of time for him and Jack. 

His chest tightened more as they drove to the movie theater. Jack was chatting about the day as Mark nodded at all of the appropriate times. 

"Hey, are yeh okay?"

Mark nodded again, and this time he almost meant it. Jack's blue eyes narrowed in such a soft concern that Mark had to look away. 

This wasn't normal. The sensation of being looked after. Being cared for. Being loved.

Martin didn't pause before touching him the way that Jack did.

The engine hummed as they otherwise rode in silence. The pale blue sky in stark contrast to the piles of fresh fallen snow. Even now Mark can feel the biting cold of the day he had decided he would die.

Trapped between staying with Martin or running away.

The radio came to life with a push of Jack's index finger. The music sweet and upbeat. It matched Jack perfectly.

Being in love was a double edged sword. Mark wanted to hide just as much as he needed to explore every single part of the Irishman. Taste his lips right after his first cup of black coffee. Catalog each type of giggle and moan.

Mark shuddered, and the music was turned down.

"Yeh shaking," Jack whispered. "Do yeh want us to go back to the house? No need to rush making any - "

"No, I'm fine."

More silence. More thinking that Mark didn't want to do right now. He was tired of thinking just as much as he was tired of feeling. Being numb wasn't better, but it sure as hell was easier to understand.

The car stopped and Mark was pulled from his thoughts. The parking lot was about half full and very close to where they were was a large movie theater. Movie posters with handsome lead actors and their lovely co-stars littered the walls all around.

"Yeh ready to head in?"

He wasn't, but he still began to unbuckle his belt. mark needed to do this. Needed to go through the motions of living until he actually lived. Martin wasn't able to control him anymore unless Mark allowed it. He wouldn't. He couldn't. 

It was like slow motion, but eventually they got out of the car. The sunlight so bright that Mark squinted as his eyes adjusted. Jack stayed by his side as they walked slowly towards the movie theater. Mark realized that the Irishman was allowing him to set the pace. It helped in ways that Mark couldn't even begin to explain. 

The tickets were bought and they headed for popcorn and drinks. Again, Jack had Mark pick everything. It hurt to be given so many choices, but Mark pushed through. Each time each choice got a tiny bit easier. That same sensation of warmth fluttered through Mark's chest. Heated him in ways that made his breath catch. Jack said nothing when he saw this. 

After they sat down in their seats, Jack placed the large box of popcorn on his lap. The two sodas and boxes of candy on each of their sides. The movie began and Mark watched the way the shimmering light bathed Jack with an almost heavenly glow. It made more sense since he was so much like his angel. 

Angel. 

Mark loved the sound of that name. Perhaps one day he could call Jack that. Maybe after a night of kisses and love making with Jack curled up against him. More warmth that Mark could finally connect with being safe and alive. 

"I'm heading to the restroom," Jack whispered, as he leaned over. "I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?"

Mark nodded, and watched as Jack got up and slowly left. It felt empty and cold. The movie seemed out of focus. 

"You make such a pretty little couple," came a soft voice from behind him. A voice that Mark knew way too well to do anything but make him freeze in his seat. His blood liquid ice. "I missed you, honey. Apparently you've moved on without me, huh?"